Building on ongoing municipal sustainable development planning efforts, the USA Sustainable Cities Initiative (USA-SCI) is supporting SDG achievement strategies in three pilot US cities: New York (New York), Baltimore (Maryland), and San Jose (California). These cities will be global pioneers – the first to develop SDG-based city-level development strategies that will serve as a model for cities worldwide.Learn more about SCI Baltimore Learn more about SCI San Jose
City-university collaboration will be an integral part of achieving SDGs in American cities in the long term. SDSN is working in partnership with leading academic institutions including Columbia University, University of Baltimore, University of Maryland, San Jose State University and Stanford University, to support the technical process of developing long-term SDG-based strategies in the pilot cities.
Key stages of the project will include:
- An inclusive dialogue, across communities, on the relevance of the SDG process and how SDGs can be made responsive to city-level development challenges and opportunities;
- The articulation of clear and compelling goals, specific to the city, yet aligned with the global SDGs, covering poverty, jobs, security, education, health, housing, infrastructure, low-carbon energy and environmental protection;
- The operationalization of the goals, through carefully developed targets and indicators;
- Identifying good practices and encouraging their scale-up;
- The preparation of a long-term strategy for the fulfillment of the identified goals; and
- Drafting of an “SDG recommendations report” for each pilot city outlining how the city’s sustainability efforts align with the SDGs, and offering next steps for achievement. Reports for Baltimore and San Jose were completed in December 2016. The report for New York City will be released in Spring 2017.
Pilot efforts in the three cities will generate tools and resources that can be used as models in other cities that wish to join the SDG effort; as those resources become available we will post them here.