Welcome to SDSN’s June 2019 Newsletter!
2019 Sustainable Development Report Launched
SDSN and Bertelsmann Stiftung published the Sustainable Development Report 2019 including the SDG Index and Dashboards. It outlines progress by countries on their achievement of the SDGs. The report calls for six major transformations that help countries organize SDG implementation: skills and inequalities, health and wellbeing, clean energy, land-use and food systems, cities, and digital technologies.
FABLE Updates: Consortium Holds 4th Meeting in Bogotá to Finalize Upcoming Report
The Food, Agriculture, Biodiversity, Land Use and Energy (FABLE) Pathways Consortium met on 4-7 June hosted by the SDG Center for Latin America and the Caribbean in Colombia. The discussions focused on the technical analysis developed by the country teams. Ana Maria Hernandez, Chair of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), and senior representatives of the Colombian government and civil society addressed the meeting.
Mapping the Renewable Energy Sector to the SDGs: An Atlas
SDSN has partnered with the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre, and Equitable Origin to create a shared understanding of how the renewable energy sector can contribute to the SDGs. For each SDG, the Atlas explores potential opportunities and impacts from renewable energy project development, and provides recommendations for companies to better align their conduct to the Sustainable Development Agenda.
Consultation on EU SDG Index held with EESC
SDSN and its partners – the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) and the Institute for European Environmental Policy (IEEP) – organized a workshop in Brussels to present the objective of their EU project which will lead to the release of the “2019 Report on Europe and the SDGs” (which will include an EU SDG Index and Dashboards) in October. The SDSN presented the results from the first round of consultation conducted in May as well as first preliminary findings from the study.
SDSN in the Media
- Mari Pangestu et al.: Trade in Trouble: How the Asia Pacific Can Step Up and Lead Reforms. Asia Society Policy Institute Issue Paper – May 2019
- Richard Layard et al.: A Local Community Course that Raises Mental Wellbeing and Pro-Sociality. Centre for Economic Performance, London School of Ecnomics and Political Science – June 2019
- Jane Lubchenco and Steven D. Gaines: A new narrative for the ocean. Science 364 (6444), 911 – June 7, 2019
- Jeffrey D. Sachs: Some Brief Reflections on Digital Technologies and Economic Development. Ethics & International Affairs, 33, no. 2, pp. 159-167 – June 7, 2019
- Gordon Liu et al.: Disease and disparity in China: a view from stroke and MI disease. International Journal for Equity in Health, 18:85 – June 11, 2019
- Catherine Benson Wahlén: European Cities Index Compares Sub-National Progress on SDGs. IISD – June 20, 2019
- Syed Munir Khasru: Why South Asia must cooperate. The Hindu – June 22, 2019
- David Steingard and Claire Sommer: Evaluating the Impact of Global Business Schools on the SDGs – Global Business School Network June 28, 2019
Upcoming SDSN Events
The High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) on Sustainable Development organized by the UN will be held from 9-19 July, 2019, and is the official forum to review progress towards the SDGs. SDSN will be participating with a number of side events as marked below (**). Read the full scope of SDSN’s HLPF events here.
**The Critical Role of Non-Official Data in Monitoring & Implementing SDG 16
Organized by SDG 16 Data Initiative, UNITAR, International IDEA
8 July | New York, USA
Launch of the Sustainable Development Report in Spain
Organized by SDSN Spain (REDS)
10 July | Madrid, Spain
Responding to Fall Armyworm in Asia (E-Conference)
Organized by SDSN Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems
10-12 July | Online
**The Role of Spillover Effects in SDG Implementation
Organized by SDSN and GIZ
15 July | New York, USA
**The Role of Governments in Building Modern Data Ecosystems for Sustainable Development
Organized by SDSN TReNDS
15 July | New York, USA
**Long-term Pathways for the Implementation of the SDGs: The Governance Implications
Organized by SDSN, the OECD, and the Permanent Mission of the UAE to the UN
16 July | New York, USA
**Stakeholders Meeting on Timely Data for the SDGs
Organized by SDSN, the World Bank, UN Statistics Division, and Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
18 July | New York, USA
- Last month, SDSN supported the German Government’s pre-HLPF Conference in Berlin.
- Climate & energy project collaboration opportunities were announced by the SDSN USA network.
- SDSN’s Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems network hosted a fully-online conference on nutrition-sensitive agriculture from 3-5 June. Read the conference outcomes here.
- Penn State University, an SDSN USA member, is partnering with Project Drawdown to host a conference on climate change research and action this September. Submit an abstract by 15 August.
- Read about a new initiative from the United Nations, SDSN TReNDS, the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data, and the World Bank to tackle timely data gaps here.
- The Science Platform Sustainability 2030 (wpn 2030), co-hosted by SDSN Germany, calls for participation for the further development of the German Sustainability Strategy. The scientific consultation is open until 31 July.
- UN DESA released a call for “voluntary SDG Acceleration Actions” to be featured leading up to the SDG Summit in September, submit your work today!
- SDSN Director Jeffrey Sachs participated on a panel at the CogX festival in London with Mariana Mazzucato, Kate Raworth, and Bill Janeway.
- Jim Williams, US DDPP Director, is leading an “Energy Systems Management” Masters program at the University of San Francisco. Share with your network or apply for your masters degree today.
- UN Habitat published the SDSN co-hosted IPCC Cities and Climate Change Conference proceedings which include highlights about the key gaps in the climate change and cities research agenda.
- Learn more about SDSN TReNDS’ expert group and read about recent news from the data for development community on sdsntrends.org.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Inger Andersen was recently named as Head of the UN Environment Programme.
- The SDSN USA network presented their new US Pathways work being done at the RE-AMP network’s annual meeting.
- SDSN partner, the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), met with SDSN Leadership Council member Johan Rockström on 18 June to discuss how we can enhance sustainable farming within planetary boundaries.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Naoko Ishii gave the opening remarks at the 56th Global Environmental Facility Council Meeting at the World Bank on 11 June.
- Patricia Espinosa, SDSN Leadership Council member, gave a speech entitled “Carbon Markets that Put a Price on Carbon are Crucial for Climate Action” at UN Climate Change on 3 June.