The UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General. SDSN mobilizes global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development, including the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
We aim to accelerate joint learning and promote integrated approaches that address the interconnected economic, social, and environmental challenges confronting the world. The SDSN works closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral financing institutions, the private sector, academia and civil society.
ABOUT SDG ACADEMY
The SDG Academy is the flagship education initiative of the SDSN, with the mandate of creating and curating the best available online educational content on sustainable development and making it available as a global public good. The Academy brings together the world’s foremost experts on sustainable development, from fields as varied as early childhood development, public health, food systems, and macroeconomics – to offer a comprehensive core curriculum around the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), equipping the next generation of sustainable development practitioners to take on the complex challenges facing our planet. The SDG Academy is hosted by the SDSN Association, a 501(c)3 organization based in New York.
Manager, Communications Strategy
Job Posting Date: May 31, 2018
The SDG Academy is seeking a committed and dynamic Manager, Communications Strategy to develop and manage external-facing communications, including social media, website, and other digital/print communications for the SDG Academy’s massive open online courses and other programming. You will play a key role as part of a small team based across New Delhi and New York City that values proactivity and creative thinking to meet our ambitious goals. You will have the opportunity to contribute to overall team strategy while also executing on a unique stream of work. The position is based in New York City (no requests to work remotely will be considered). Candidates must have prior legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- Strategize and execute on brand awareness, outreach, course promotion, and awareness of new programs of the SDG Academy
- Identify and execute on new opportunities to raise brand awareness of the SDG Academy, including networking for potential new partnerships
- Produce strategic editorial content across multiple digital and non-digital platforms (social media, web, newsletter); includes writing blog and social media content and some creation of social media-optimized graphics
- Manage modest social media promotional budget and operate promoted campaigns on social media
- Engage with members of the press around the world to promote the issues and learning materials created by the SDG Academy, using the SDG Academy faculty to prepare op-eds, blogs, podcasts, and other shareable written and visual content.
- Manage community requests and engagement on social media platforms
- Work closely with course partners on strategic marketing and communications materials to support enrollment in and awareness of SDG Academy courses, ensuring consistency of voice and style and accommodating the needs of partner institutions
- Measure the success of engagement across communications channels and provide reports to SDG Academy leadership and course partners
- Manage outside vendor in redesign of website
- Supervise a marketing and communications intern, who will support content development
- Support the communications work of the broader organization (SDSN)
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across time zones and platforms
- Write, review, and coordinate design and production of print materials (invitations, reports, brochures, flyers, etc.)
- Manage brand styling and support team members in producing brand collateral (e.g. creating and editing PowerPoints for presentations or reports)
- Represent the SDG Academy team and the broader organization (SDSN) at external events
The ideal candidate will have:
- 4+ years of experience in content strategy/marketing and communications, particularly in technology, education technology, or similar
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent skills in communicating and aligning with partners
- Working proficiency in WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite and Google Drive
- Experience in management of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other social media platforms in an organizational setting (including previous paid social experience)
- Experience working with media, journalists, and publishers
- Experience supporting communications strategy and execution at both a brand level and campaign level
- Familiarity with project management tools such as Asana
- Working proficiency in Google Analytics
- Working proficiency in Excel and other analytics tools to support the measurement of SDG Academy offerings
- An interest/background in or familiarity with sustainable development
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application: Communications Manager”