The Faculty of Environment at the University of Waterloo has been chosen as the Canadian host of The United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
SDSN Canada is part of a global SDSN movement to build a network of universities, research centers, civil society organizations, and knowledge institutions. With over 700 participating institutions worldwide, SDSN members work together, to promote practical solutions for sustainable development, including the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
As a host of the SDSN, the University of Waterloo will use its position as home to Canada’s largest Faculty of Environment to share knowledge, activate research and help solve the interconnected economic, social, and environmental challenges confronting the world. The SDSN works closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral financing institutions, the private sector, and civil society, thus opening up exciting new opportunities of collaboration for Waterloo.
What the SDSN Canada will do?
- Build an on-going pan-Canadian network of post-secondary institutions, civil society, and others, to facilitate learning and accelerate problem solving for sustainable development
- Link Canadian experts to the global SDSN and to global discussions on a universal agenda for sustainable development
- Organize national/sub-national sustainable development meetings bringing together key actors to identify and promote regional solutions initiatives
- Foster debate on sustainable development within Canadian academia and society more broadly
- Conduct action-oriented research that helps Canada adopt and implement policies and practices that provide international leadership in sustainability
- Develop and continually improve educational programming for sustainable development
A key component of Waterloo’s involvement in the SDSN comes from its partnership with Waterloo Global Science Initiative (WGSI), a non-profit partnership between Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics and University of Waterloo.
The official launch of SDSN Canada will take place, May 7th to 8th, 2018, at the University of Waterloo, and feature a talk with Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the SDSN.
For more information contact:
SDSN Canada Manager
University of Waterloo
519-888-4567, ext. 37667