We currently have the following vacancies:
Please be aware fraudulent offers of employment are being sent in the name of the SDSN. These correspondences may contain official-looking SDSN letterheads and/or logos, logos or forms of the United Nations, and e-mail or web site addresses resembling the official addresses of SDSN or United Nations entities. Read our full Employment Fraud Alert.
The UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General. SDSN mobilizes global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development, including the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
We aim to accelerate joint learning and promote integrated approaches that address the interconnected economic, social, and environmental challenges confronting the world. SDSN works closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral financing institutions, the private sector, and civil society.
Head of Programs and Partnerships, SDG Academy
ABOUT THE SDG ACADEMY
The SDG Academy is the flagship education initiative of the SDSN, with the mandate of creating and curating the best available online educational content on sustainable development and making it available as a global public good. The Academy brings together the world’s foremost experts on sustainable development, from fields as varied as early childhood development, public health, food systems, and macroeconomics – to offer a comprehensive core curriculum around the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), equipping the next generation of sustainable development practitioners to take on the complex challenges facing our planet. The SDG Academy is hosted by the SDSN Association, a 501(c)3 organization based in New York.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The SDG Academy is seeking a Head of Programs and Partnerships to provide strategic leadership in the ambitious production and expansion plans of the SDG Academy initiative. This role provides a unique opportunity to manage a complex and dynamic portfolio of work, to expand the collection of core and curated educational content on sustainable development, to engage with experts at the top of their field from around the world, and to catalyze a diverse and motivated global student base to take up the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a meaningful and impactful way. A special focus will be on traditionally under-reached student cohorts internationally, recognizing the unique role of technology in connecting disparate communities. The Head of Programs and Partnerships will lead the New York office of the SDG Academy and will play a key role as part of a small team that values proactivity and creative thinking.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategic Leadership & Team Management
- Work with the President, SDSN Association to design and lead a medium-term vision and strategy for the SDG Academy
- Explore strategic opportunities for expansion and innovation of the SDG Academy programs within the scope of the mission and vision of the initiative
- Oversee SDG Academy programs and manage processes to evaluate progress towards stated objectives and to plan and back cast key activities in the short- and medium-term
- Monitor key process and evaluation data points to inform and improve protocols
- Manage the New York-based SDG Academy team and work effectively in a multi-location, virtual environment with other offices
Partnerships & Relationship Management
- Explore opportunities for partnership, including financial partnerships, partner courses, executive trainings, NGO- or industry-specific courses and trainings, and others
- Engage with academic institutions and organizations looking to use SDG Academy content
- Build and execute the strategy around the inclusion of partner courses and other curated materials among SDG Academy offerings
- Manage relationship with the UN System Staff College and other UN-facing educational partnerships
- Liaise internally with relevant colleagues at the SDSN Secretariat on areas of overlap and support, including the SDSN communications team
- Manage communication and relationship with technology partners on course platform
- Liaise with production and branding partners as needed
- Maintain and manage communications with course experts, key strategic partners, and potential partner organizations
Course Production & Other Products
- Oversee and, in some cases, manage the process of core course production, including syllabus design, pre-production, filming, post-production, course launch, and course reflection and feedback
- Liaise with content team, production team, technical team, and relevant SDG Academy/SDSN colleagues throughout process
- Provide substantive and pedagogical feedback on initial syllabus, course scripts, and postproduction cuts
- Oversee the creation and curation of other educational outputs branded through the SDG Academy, including lecture series, webinars, film festivals, toolkit videos, and data visualizations
Financial Management & Fundraising
- Manage initiative and course budgets and disbursements on a day-to-day basis
- Generate donor financial and narrative reporting as needed
- Liaise with finance and administration team on human resources, contracts, invoicing, accounts payable, and reporting
- Fundraising support as needed
- Represent SDG Academy and/or SDSN at public-facing events and conferences
- Some administrative tasks, as mandated by a small team
- Any additional requests made by SDG Academy leadership
- Masters degree in international education, sustainable development or related field is required
- Professional fluency in English required; fluency in additional language preferred
- Minimum of 8-12 years of relevant experience required
- Exceptional writing, drafting, and oral communications skills required
- Proficiency in online learning technologies and pedagogies strongly preferred
- Experience with video production and online course development preferred
- Experience and/or interest in online education and/or sustainable development strongly preferred
- Adept at learning and navigating new technologies quickly
- Strong time-management and ability to work in fast-paced environment while managing multiple tasks
- Ability to work efficiently both independently and collaboratively
- Proactive and willing to take initiative, leadership skills essential
- Location: This position will be based in New York City, NY (Please note that candidates must have prior authorization to work in the United States, as we are unable to sponsor visas)
- Contract Length: This appointment is valid for a period of one year, subject to renewal upon review of work performance
- Hours: Full time
- Reporting: This position reports to the President, SDSN Association
- Salary: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package
- Travel: This position may require some domestic and international travel (not to exceed 15% of total time)
Candidates interested in the position should send a resume, a cover letter, and a short writing sample (no longer than 3 pages) to email@example.com. Please include the name of the position in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.