We currently have 2 open position in the New York office and 2 open positions in the Paris office.
You must be available locally in New York / Paris to be considered for the position.
Events Associate, New York
SDSN Association was created in March 2014 as an independent 501 3 (c) organization to support the mandate of the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (UNSDSN). UNSDSN was launched at the behest of the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to mobilize research, academia, the private sector and civil society to promote the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). SDSN Association is based in New York.
Reporting to the Head of Partnerships, the Events Associate manages the planning and execution of events hosted by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, the SDSNA, and other affiliate organizations. This includes coordinating logistics, processes, deadlines, and budgets for events and programs such as the annual International Conference on Sustainable Development (www.ic-sd.org), meetings of the Leadership Council, and various project and program meetings, publication launches, and workshops, among others. The incumbent will be responsible for overall event productions including advising on best practices, program/agenda development, identifying and contacting a wide range of national and international speakers, incorporating multi-media technology as well overseeing logistical arrangements including investigating venues, service providers, and vendors to support planning recommendations.
Working in tandem with colleagues from the communications and project management departments, the incumbent will manage processes and write, edit and consult in the design of event-related publications, email newsletters, social media, and websites. Additional responsibilities include expanding and maintaining events web pages, overseeing all aspects of weekly events email, updating the online calendar, and organizing event video production and archives. This position implements new marketing techniques to build audience size and depth and improve messaging, branding, and positioning.
Supporting the Head of Partnerships, the incumbent will help to facilitate new partnerships and strengthen institutional prestige. Additional responsibilities could include general administrative tasks such as updating documents and databases, and occasional oversight of work-study and event staff. This position performs all other duties, as assigned by the Head of Partnerships.
Event Planning (80%)
- Manages the planning of events, organizing the agenda and calendar, coordinating with different departments, and managing expectations of senior leadership. Oversees logistics and execution of SDSN and affiliate events, including the International Conference on Sustainable Development and the Low-Emissions Solutions Conference. Updates the online event calendar and email newsletter.
- Serves as department liaison using tact and discretion in dealing with a wide range of constituents to develop event programming. Identifies, recruits, and facilitates communication with high profile speakers. Supports the abstract submission, review, and acceptance process. Works to identify opportunities to showcase SDSN experts and exhibit their research to the public.
- Write, edit, help design, and oversee publishing of conference- and event-related materials, including websites, programs, nametags, table tents, posters, invitations, etc. Maintains event-related design deadlines system to keep projects on track. Works closely with communications staff to manage diverse media for conferences and events.
- Maintains events financial management systems; oversees project budgets, develops reports, economizes spending, reconciles budgets and provides project estimates. Manages vendors; contracts services and negotiates related fees.
General Administrative Support (10%)
- Supports general event promotion, email production, and administrative systems.
- Aids in updating SDSN databases of contacts. This will include maintaining list serves in Mail Chimp, Google contacts, and Insightly while working closely with the SDSN Admin team to improve the current contact management system to create an integrated, robust contact management database to improve targeted communication campaigns and event solicitation.
- Aids in financial systems management, supporting the initiation of vendor relationships, and the processing of invoices.
- Assists Head of Partnerships to support the development team in cultivation and solicitation strategies.
Other Duties (10%)
- All other duties and responsibilities, as deemed appropriate by the Head of Partnerships.
- At least one year of experience organizing events is required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated use of tact and discretion in dealing with a wide range of internal and external constituents required.
- Ability to identify, manage and implement diverse and multiple tasks related to marketing and events.
- Interest in the mission of the SDSN required.
- Experience in an academic or non-profit setting preferred.
- Experience with contact management systems preferred (MailChimp, Insightly).
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and large-scale (1,000+ participant) events.
- Candidates should be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and a strong team player
- Please note that existing US work authorization is required for this position
- The position is based in New York
- The position is full time (35 hours per week), and will occasionally require the incumbent to be available for early mornings, nights, and weekends
- The position reports to the Head of Partnerships, SDSN
- The appointment will be for an initial period of 1 year, renewable for the second year upon performance review
Compensation for this position is competitive and is commensurate with experience. This position also includes a generous benefits package.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line “Events Associate Applicant [Your Name]”.
Researcher & Course Coordinator, New York
The SDG Academy seeks the services of a researcher and course coordinator to support the design, development, and coordination of a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Macroeconomics for a Sustainable Planet. The MOOC will be taught by Professor Jeffrey Sachs, Quetelet Professor of Sustainable Development at Columbia University, and Dr. Felipe Larraín, economist and former Minister of Finance of Chile. Through the use of real-world examples, the course applies macroeconomic principles in the context of sustainable development, and will be developed, filmed, produced and launched in the first half of 2017.
The SDG Academy (formerly known as SDSNedu) is a virtual platform that provides high-quality, mass online education in the field of sustainable development. We bring together the world’s foremost experts on sustainable development – including health, education, climate change, agriculture and food systems, sustainable investment, and other related fields – to offer a comprehensive core curriculum, equipping the next generation of sustainable development practitioners to take on the complex challenges facing our planet. All course materials are available free of cost to everyone.
The Macroeconomics for a Sustainable Planet MOOC will focus on the new directions of macroeconomic analysis required to integrate sustainable development challenges, as well as the cutting-edge challenges of managing the interconnected global economy. The course will examine the limitations of traditional macroeconomic theory in addressing resource allocation across sectors as well as the inter-temporal distribution of investment and savings. One major focus will be the challenges financial stability in a world of rapid, cross-border capital flows.
Additionally, the course will discuss the role of fiscal and monetary policy in promoting investments in physical, natural, and human capital. It will describe changes in Keynesian macroeconomic theory needed to incorporate the long-term investments for achieving the SDGs. It will discuss the limitations of both Keynesian and supply-side economics in disaggregating such investments not only between public and private investments, but also between short-term and long-term investments, market failures, investments to create public goods, and the inter-generational consequences of savings and consumption. The course will propose a “sustainable” macroeconomic framework that builds in medium and long-term fiscal stability while at the same time incorporating the public and long-term goals encapsulated by the SDGs.
The successful candidate will provide research support in the design of the course, assist with the first round of editing and be in charge of all logistical arrangements around preparatory meetings and filming sessions. The researcher will report to the lead faculty of the course and work closely with the SDG Academy staff in the development of the MOOC.
The MOOC researcher and course coordinator will be expected to commit a minimum of 20 hours per week, beginning as early as February 6th. The position will run the duration of the spring semester and may be extended.
- Current doctoral student in economics, international development, or related field
- Experience in desk research, ideally gained in an academic setting
- A comprehensive understanding of macroeconomic theory
- Interest and knowledge of sustainable development
- Highly organized, responsive, and proactive
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Pleasant, tactful, diplomatic demeanour
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Some experience in engaging faculty in course development processes (e.g. as teaching assistant)
- Experience with online learning environments and/or massive open online courses
- Work closely with the lead faculty of the course, primarily Professor Sachs, in the research and curation of content and materials for the course.
- Coordination with the research team of Dr. Larraín and other faculty.
- With support and guidance of the SDG Academy, work with lead faculty to:
- Develop scripts for each session
- Promote coherence and avoid overlaps of content across sessions
- Ensure consistency in messages
- Uphold the course overall learning approaches
- Aggregate data sets, charts, and other relevant visual assets with secured permission for use
- Provide support to the filming process as needed.
- Provide a comprehensive review of the first video edits, checking for basic quality issues (e.g., use of wrong images of slides, misspelled technical terms, titles) and liaising with the appropriate person to remedy such issues.
- Provide research support in developing sessions and exercises for the MOOC, including developing quizzes, exercises and other interactive elements of the course.
- Ensure overall logistical coordination of MOOC.
- Lead other activities as requested by the SDG Academy staff or the lead faculty.
Hourly compensation commensurate with experience.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications are due by 11:59pm on January 31, 2017.
Manager/Responsable de projet (CDD), Paris
The United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network (www.unsdsn.org) was launched by Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon in August 2012. The network is led by Professor Jeffrey D. Sachs and is building a global network of universities, research centers, civil society organizations and other knowledge centers in support of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). National and Regional SDSNs have been established to accelerate practical problem-solving for sustainable development at local, national, and regional levels. These networks are very active and are playing a leading role in localizing the SDGs in their respective regions.
The SDSN is seeking a dynamic and talented individual to help develop and manage National and Regional SDSNs, and to support their efforts to localize the SDGs. Based out of the Paris office of the SDSN, the Manager will report to the Head of the Networks Program and work closely with the SDSN team. The position requires international travel.
- Work with several National and Regional SDSNs to support them in establishing their structures, recruit members, develop and implement ambitious work programs, and mobilize resources
- Manage the SDSN’s policy advisory to governments in several countries
- Support the membership drive of the SDSN and build SDSN services for its members
- Manage budgets associated with activities under her/his responsibility
- Represent the SDSN at meetings and conferences
- Prepare and contribute to publications
- Work with leading scientists and business executives to support their effective work in the SDSN
- Support new special initiatives of the SDSN
- The candidate must have the right to work in France
- Passion for the mission of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network
- Minimum four years combined relevant experience
- Successful record of project management, including the ability to motivate others and the flexibility to respond to changing priorities in fast-paced environment
- Outstanding English oral and written communication skills. Full proficiency desirable in one or more other languages, notably Arabic, French, Mandarin, or Spanish
- Demonstrated ability to manage partnerships and client relationships at senior level
- Advanced degree in economics, development, natural sciences, engineering, business or related
Salary and application:
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer a 12-month contract (with the possibility of renewal) that will be administered by the SDSN Association. To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to: email@example.com citing the reference Manager Paris before February 15, 2017. We will contact only those candidates whose profile meets our requirements.
Le Réseau des Nations Unies pour les Solutions de Développement Durable (SDSN) a été lancé par le Secrétaire Général Ban Ki-Moon en août 2012. Le réseau est dirigé par le Professeur Jeffrey D. Sachs et construit un réseau mondial d’universités, de centres de recherche, et des organisations de la société civile à l’appui des objectifs de développement durable (ODD). Des réseaux aux échelles nationales et régionales ont été créés pour accélérer la résolution de problèmes dans le domaine du développement durable. Ces réseaux sont très actifs et jouent un rôle de premier plan dans la localisation des ODD dans leurs régions respectives.
Présentation du poste:
La SDSN recherche un-e H/F dynamique pour appuyer le développement et la gestion des réseaux nationaux et régionaux et soutenir leurs efforts pour localiser les ODD. Basé au bureau de Paris, le responsable de projet travaillera sous la direction du chef du programme réseaux et en étroite collaboration avec l’équipe SDSN. Le poste nécessite des voyages internationaux.
- Collaborer avec plusieurs réseaux nationales et régionales pour les aider à établir leurs structures, recruter des membres, élaborer et mettre en œuvre des programmes de travail ambitieux et mobiliser des ressources.
- Soutenir l’adhésion des membres au SDSN.
- Gérer les budgets associés aux activités sous sa responsabilité.
- Représenter le SDSN lors de réunions et de conférences.
- Préparer et contribuer aux publications.
- Collaborer avec des scientifiques et des dirigeants d’entreprise de renom pour appuyer leur travail efficace dans le SDSN.
- Soutenir les nouvelles initiatives spéciales du SDSN.
- Le candidat doit avoir le droit de travailler en France
- Passion pour la mission du SDSN.
- 4 ans d’expérience minimum.
- De l’expérience dans la gestion de projets, y compris la capacité de motiver les autres et la souplesse nécessaire pour répondre aux priorités changeantes dans un environnement où règne un rythme rapide.
- Excellentes compétences en communication orale et écrite en anglais. Compétence souhaitable dans une ou plusieurs autres langues, notamment l’arabe, le français, le mandarin ou l’espagnol.
- Aptitude à gérer les partenariats et les relations avec des personnalités senior.
- Diplôme d’études supérieures en économie, en développement, en sciences naturelles, en ingénierie, en affaires ou dans une discipline connexe.
Salaire et application:
Nous offrons un contrat de 12 mois (avec possibilité de renouvellement) avec un salaire négociable selon expérience.. Pour postuler, veuillez envoyer un CV et une lettre de motivation à : firstname.lastname@example.org en citant la référence Responsable de Projet-Paris avant le 15 février 2017. Nous contacterons uniquement les candidats dont le profil répond à nos critères.