SDSN Canada is hosted by the University of Waterloo, home to Canada’s largest Faculty of Environment. The network intends to share knowledge, activate research and help solve the interconnected economic, social, and environmental challenges confronting the world. The SDSN works closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral financing institutions, the private sector, and civil society, thus opening up exciting new opportunities of collaboration for Waterloo.
SDSN Canada’s Mandate
- Build an on-going pan-Canadian network of post-secondary institutions, civil society, and others, to facilitate learning and accelerate problem-solving for sustainable development
- Link Canadian experts to the global SDSN and to global discussions on a universal agenda for sustainable development
- Organize national/sub-national sustainable development meetings bringing together key actors to identify and promote regional solutions initiatives
- Foster debate on sustainable development within Canadian academia and society more broadly
- Conduct action-oriented research that helps Canada adopt and implement policies and practices that provide international leadership in sustainability
- Develop and continually improve educational programming for sustainable development
A key component of Waterloo’s involvement in the SDSN comes from its partnership with Waterloo Global Science Initiative (WGSI), a non-profit partnership between Perimeter Institute of Theoretical Physics and University of Waterloo.
Find out more about SDSN Canada here.