Welcome to SDSN’s May 2019 Newsletter!
A Special Address with the Pope
On 27 May, SDSN and the Pontifical Academy of Sciences hosted a meeting between Pope Francis, Climate Scientists, and more than twenty Finance Ministers to discuss the Sustainable Development Goals and climate change.
New SDG Index and Dashboards for European Cities
SDSN in partnership with the Brabant Center for Sustainable Development (Telos, Tilburg University), released the first-ever SDG Index and Dashboards Report for European Cities. The report compares the performance of capital cities and a selection of large metropolitan areas in the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) on the 17 SDGs.
Public Consultation on SDG Index for the Arab Region
The SDG Centre of Excellence for the Arab Region, hosted at the Emirates Diplomatic Academy, in collaboration with SDSN, is developing the first regional SDG Index for the 22 Arab countries. We are seeking comments through 15 June in hopes of enhancing the robustness of the indicators selected for the regional index.
Nature Map Consultation
As part of the Gaining Consensus on Biodiversity Metrics meeting hosted by UNEP-WCMC in Cambridge, Nature Map consulted data experts on data layers for high-resolution global maps on biodiversity, ecosystem services, and carbon to help inform new targets on biodiversity under the 2020 Convention on Biological Diversity meeting. A first Nature Map will be produced in time for the September UN Climate Summit.
SDG Academy Terrestrial Ecosystem Course Relaunching
The SDG Academy will relaunch the latest version of the popular course, From the Ground Up: Managing and Preserving Our Terrestrial Ecosystems, on 3 June. The course was produced in partnership with SDSN Amazoniaand Fundação Amazonas Sustentável. It gives students an understanding of the relationship between humans and their environment, and the effects that relationship has on critical ecosystem services.
SDSN in the Media
- Guido Schmidt-Traub, Aline Mosnier, and Michael Obersteiner: Fix the broken food system in three steps, Nature – International Journal of Science – May 8, 2019
- H.E. Abdulla Nasser Lootah: ‘Excellence in Implementation’: The UAE Model in Reaching the Global Agenda 2030, Emirates Diplomatic Academy (EDA) Reflection – May, 2019
- Peter Bakker: A Global Coming of Age: How the Sustainable Development Goals can help transform the world we live in, The Forum Network – May 12, 2019
- Upmanu Lall et al: The Future of Water: A collection of essays on “disruptive“ technologies that may transform the water sector in the next 10 years, Inter-American Development Bank, Discussion Paper – April 2019
- Srinath Reddy and Many Raj Mathur: Child Health Policies in India: Moving from a Discernible Past to a Promising Future, The Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Vol. 86, Issue 6, pp 520-522 – April 29, 2019
- Upmanu Lall et al: Atmospheric Circulation Patterns Associated with Extreme United States Floods Identified via Machine Learning, Scientific Reports 9, Article number: 7171 – May 9, 2019
- Gordon Liu et al: Taking stock of cost-effectiveness analysis of healthcare in China, BMJ Global Health 4:e001418 – May 14, 2019
- SDSN TReNDS Reflects on Lessons Learned on Data Collaboration, IISD SDG Knowledge Hub – May 9, 2019
Upcoming SDSN Events
E-Conference Highlighting the Latest Evidence on Nutrition-Sensitive Agriculture
Organized by SDSN Sustainable Agriculture & Food Systems
3-5 June | Online
4th FABLE Consortium Meeting
Organized by FABLE
4-7 June | Bogotá, Colombia
- The SDSN Caribbean has launched a call for solutions for the region. Submit yours online by 15 June!
- On 21 May, SDSN Switzerland hosted a Conference entitled “The Sustainability Transformation: A Joint Task for Our Society” with the aim to inspire calls to action to accelerate the sustainable development transition in the region.
- SDSN Sahel held a multi-stakeholder workshop on data localization for the SDGs on 29-30 April in Dakar, Senegal that resulted in a project proposal for a Territorialized Information System on the SDGs in the Diourbel Region.
- On 15-16 May, SDSN Malaysia organized three consultative workshops with the aim of soliciting opinions from representatives of the public to inform the development of sustainable urban solutions.
- SDSN USA has recently become a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), an association of colleges, universities, businesses, nonprofits and other organizations in the United States working together to create a sustainable world.
- In a context of strong social tensions, expressed by the “yellow vest” movement, SDSN France contributed to a new report on inequality in France, through the lens of the SDGs.
- On 28-29 May in Madrid, SDSN’s thematic network “Health for All” organized a conference to accelerate SDG 3 achievement.
- TReNDS’ and partners’ C4DC collaboration, all about understanding data sharing in support of the SDGs, was featured in a new World Economic Forum report.
- SDSN Member Penn State has partnered with Drawdown to feature Research in Action around lowering emissions around the globe. Submit your researchby 15 August or register to attend.
- SDSN Member, Gaia Education, in partnership with UNITAR, is running their new online course ‘Blockchain Frontiers: Unleashing the potential of the SDGs Implementation’, starting 17 June on how blockchain works in ways that accelerate the SDGs.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Patricia Espinosa spoke at the International Post Corporation’s 2019 Annual Conference on the importance of the global postal sector’s sustainability efforts.
- On 15 April, SDSN Leadership Council member Peter Bakker gave a lecture at the Faculty of International Relations.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Mariana Mazzucato, was honored with the 2019 All European Academies Madame de Staël Prize for Cultural Values in Bern this month.
- Miguel Ángel Moratinos, SDSN Leadership Council Member, gave a keynote address on “Building Dialogue into Action Against Discrimination, Inequality, and Violence” at the opening ceremony of the 5th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Patricia Espinosa outlined key deliverables of COP25 and called on governments to rapidly raise their levels of ambition to tackle climate change at the 10th Petersburg Climate Dialogue.
SDSN and Partners are Hiring
- Finance & Administration Manager, FABLE Consortium (Paris, France)