Welcome to SDSN’s March 2019 Newsletter!
SDSN Mexico Launch
On 7 March, the SDSN launched its 32nd network, SDSN Mexico! SDSN Mexico will mobilize knowledge from academia for the design and execution of the country’s public policies, leveraging the strength of its members and other SDSN networks in the region.
World Happiness Report Released
The 2019 report, launched on 20 March at the United Nations, ranks 156 countries on life evaluations and well-being. Finland again takes the top spot as the happiest country in the world according to three years of surveys taken by Gallup from 2016-2018. This year’s report focuses on happiness and the community, and how happiness has evolved over the past dozen years, with a focus on the technologies, social norms, conflicts, and government policies that have driven those changes.
Food and Land-Use Coalition (FOLU) launched in China and India
As part of FOLU, the Food, Agriculture, Biodiversity, Land, and Energy (FABLE) Consortium has launched its work with leading research and policy institutions in China and India. Teams will develop integrated analyses and policy recommendations for sustainable land-use and food systems.
Nature Map Earth Project Launched
SDSN is launching the Nature Map Earth project which will develop a global map of biodiversity, carbon storage, and other dimensions of nature by consolidating and crowd-sourcing data from a variety of sources. For more information visit the Nature Map website.
Call for Case Studies: SDG Learning and Teaching in Universities
SDSN is developing an in-depth guide on how universities and higher education institutions can support the uptake and implementation of the SDGs through their learning and teaching activities. We are inviting these institutions to submit case studies on SDG-related activities they are undertaking.
The SDG Academy is expanding its University Partnership Program
The SDG Academy is working with Universities throughout the SDSN network to integrate the SDGs and interdisciplinary teaching into an array of teaching resources and curriculums. Four new institutions join 12 other partner universities working to create innovative blended learning models for teaching about sustainable development.
SDSN in the Media
- Angelo Riccaboni et al.: Sustainable Development Goals Indicators: A Methodological Proposal for a Multidimensional Fuzzy Index in the Mediterranean Area, Sustainability, 2019, Volume 11 (4), 1198 – February 24, 2019
- Angelo Riccaboni et al.: Integrated Management Approach Towards Sustainability: An Egyptian Business Case Study, Sustianability, 2019, Volume 11 (4), 1244 – February 26, 2019
- Srinath Reddy: Medical Journals: Active or passive change agents?, The National Medical Journal of India – March 1, 2019
- SDSN Youth was featured in a UN Foundation article on how youth are demanding global action on climate change.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs: The Medicare for All bill is a winner, CNN.com – March 1, 2019
- Jeffrey D. Sachs: The Green New Deal isn’t outlandish – it’s a necessity, thehill.com – March 4, 2019
Upcoming SDSN Events
The importance of the EU election for global sustainable development (in German)
Organized by Brot für die Welt, MISEREOR and SDSN Germany
9 April | Berlin, Germany
Financing for Development (FfD) Forum 2019
Organized by UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
15-18 April | New York, USA
Side event at the Fifth session of the Africa Regional Forum on Sustainable Development: Presenting the Africa SDG Index and Dashboards Report
Organized by SDSN, SDG Center for Africa, UN Economic Commission for Africa (ECA)
17 April | Marrakech, Morocco
2019 Happiness Festival
Organized by SDSN Southeast Asia, SDSN Indonesia and United in Diversity
27-28 April | Jakarta, Indonesia
- On 12 March, SDSN’s European networks convened for the first time for a full day meeting in Paris where they discussed the current state of implementation of the SDGs in the region.
- The call for abstracts for the International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD), happening on 24-25 September in New York, is open until 1 May. Submit an abstract today.
- Working Group II of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is preparing its contribution to the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report. To help prepare for the FAQs of the report, submit your feedback by 12 April.
- On 27-28 March at the Danish Parliament in Copenhagen, SDSN co-organized the Move Humanity Conference: Financing the SDGs: Wealth Taxes, Development Aid and Ending Extreme Poverty.
- SDSN and the European Network of Political Foundations (ENoP) have jointly called upon the European Union to act now on the 2030 Agenda to achieve the SDGs. Read and share the joint Call for Action.
- The SDSN partnered with the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre, and Equitable Origin to evaluate how the renewable energy sector can effectively contribute to the SDGs in this report. Feedback may be submitted until 15 April.
- On 16-17 March, members of SDSN Black Sea and the SDSN global leadership participated in the 7th Baku Global Forum, organized by the Nizami Ganjavi International Center (NGIC).
- Read the latest on the SDSN TReNDS blog, including a recap of a UN Statistical Commission event on population monitoring and reflections on the so-called data counter-revolution.
- Take the Global Survey on the SDGs and help researchers at Yale University understand the level of awareness of sustainability in your sector.
- Open Data Watch examines different approaches to public data access in a new report for SDSN TReNDS.
- SDSN Leadership Council Member Peter Bakker discussed strategic approaches to business and sustainability on CNNMoney Switzerland.
SDSN and Partners are Hiring
- Communications and Content Management Internship, National and Regional Networks Program (New York, USA)
- Senior Analyst, FABLE Consortium (Paris, France)
- Researchers on SDG-aligned Practice in Energy and Agribusiness Sectors, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI) (New York, USA)