The Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the Secretary-General of the United Nations to support the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. It is directed by Professor Jeffrey D. Sachs, SDG Advocate, and has offices in New York, Paris, and New Delhi.
The SDSN USA endeavors to build pathways for achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in the United States by mobilizing research, outreach, and collective action. This includes: facilitating the development of solutions to U.S. sustainability challenges; building sophisticated, practical systems for measuring progress and connecting with stakeholders who will utilize them; facilitating public awareness, education, and engagement; and linking these efforts with policymakers and community leaders throughout the U.S. to result in lasting change.
SDSN USA produces two sub-national reports, the City SDG Index, looking at the 100 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) in the US, and the State SDG Index, comparing all 50 states on the SDGs. SDSN USA is seeking a student to provide staff support to the City and State SDG indices as an Analyst Intern. SDSN USA will be updating and expanding the indices to include longitudinal data, as well as updating and revising the data and preparing two new reports for publication in June and September. The indices are part of an effort to raise awareness of the SDGs at the sub-national level in the US, and to highlight areas of excellence and of improvement across cities and states.
The Analyst Intern will be expected to work 15-20 hours/week, and will be responsible for:
- Supporting preparation of the data for the index, which will require desk-based research, developing and maintaining metadata, researching and collecting data
- Identifying experts in relevant fields for advice and review
- Development and research of relevant indicators and/or datasets
- Cleaning and preparing the data
- Reading and summarizing relevant academic research to support literature review
- Keeping the team informed about relevant data definitions and their implications for inclusion, exclusion, or comparison with other indices
- Drafting, editing and/or reviewing written material related to the index
- Managing and troubleshooting any issues related to the collection or distribution of databases
- Presenting findings and participating in research review during research meetings
- The position is open to both undergraduate and graduate students with the requisite skills
- Comfort with excel, including downloading excel files, reading and basic arranging of quantitative data within excel, required
- Familiarity with quantitative datasets
- Highly organized and responsive
- Proactive communication skills
- Interest in data, quantitative research and data disaggregation
- Familiarity with the SDGs, sustainability, the Leave No One Behind Agenda, and other relevant disciplines preferred
- Experience with Stata, R, GIS, GitHub or other programming languages or statistical programs preferred but not required
- Unfortunately, SDSN is not able to provide work visas for this internship
Duration: March, 2019 – May, 2019
Compensation: $15-18/hour, depending on experience (15-20 hours/week)
Location: Must be able to spend some time in SDSN USA offices near Columbia University in New York City on Mondays, Wednesdays and/or Thursdays.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter before March 4, 2019 with the subject: “SDSN USA Analyst Internship” to email@example.com. Position to start as soon as possible.