Welcome to SDSN’s January 2019 Newsletter!
Public Consultation: Mapping the Renewable Energy Sector to the SDGs
The SDSN has partnered with the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre, and Equitable Origin to evaluate how the renewable energy sector can effectively contribute to the SDGs. This version has been released for public consultation. Feedback may be submitted until 15 April.
Exposing EU Policy Gaps to Address the SDGS
The SDSN was commissioned by the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC) to identify ways to strengthen evidence based policy making in the EU on the SDGs and Agenda 2030. The study makes four recommendations to the EESC to strengthen involvement of civil society in SDG measurement and implementation.
Request for Contribution: Contracts for Data Collaboration
SDSN TReNDS, the GovLab at New York University, the University of Washington, and the World Economic Forum are launching a new project on understanding legal conditions for data sharing in support of the SDGs. Help the team collect agreements, contracts, and similar resources from data sharing initiatives by writing to SDSN TReNDS Analyst Hayden Dahmm.
U.S. Cities SDG Guide
At the 2019 Winter Meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors SDSN released a draft practitioner guide: “A Pathway to Sustainable American Cities: A Guide to Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals.” City Officials interested in providing comment can write to Melika Edquist by 15 February.
SDSN Partners with the Global Covenant of Mayors
The Global Covenant of Mayors (GCoM) and the SDSN announce a long-term partnership delivering on the Innovate4Cities Call to Action and assisting local governments in advancing the implementation of national and supranational climate commitments. GCoM and SDSN will jointly work together to develop a Scientific Advisory Board for Innovate4Cities and engage all partners for the next iteration of the Cities and Climate Change Science Conference.
SDSN in the Media
- Jeffrey D. Sachs: Trump’s Syria Withdrawal is a Chance for Peace, Project Syndicate – January 2, 2019
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, Guido Schmidt-Traub, & Vanessa Fajans-Turner: Fully Filling the Global Fund – Project Syndicate – January 10, 2019
- K. Srinath Reddy et al.: Food in the Anthropocene: the EAT–Lancet Commission on healthy diets from sustainable food systems, Lancet – January 16, 2019
- Jeffrey D. Sachs: Global leadership deficit leaves development goals in doldrums, Reuters – January 17, 2019
- Anna Bulman et al.: Tying the Knot: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Understanding the Human Right to Adequate Nutrition, Journal of Transnational Law – January 28, 2018
Upcoming SDSN Events
Climate Change Impacts to the Caribbean and the Attainment of the SDGs: The Importance of Involving Youth
Organized by the University of the West Indies and the SDSN Caribbean
7 February 6:00 pm EST | Online Event
Global Fund’s Preparatory Meeting of the Sixth Replenishment
Organized by The Global Fund
8 February | New Delhi, India
Launch of SDSN Mexico
Organized by SDSN Mexico & SDSN Secretariat
7 March | Mexico City, Mexico
- SDSN TReNDS attended the World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos. Read reflections from Director Jessica Espey here and from TReNDS partner Steven Ramage of the Group on Earth Observations here.
- The World Childhood Foundation, an SDSN Partner, released their index,“Out of the Shadows” which evaluates how countries are addressing child sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Applications are open for SDSN member institutions to join the March 2019 cohort of SDG Academy University Partnership Program (UPP).
- On 17 January, SDSN REDS (Spain) organized a meeting for SDSN Director Jeffrey Sachs who met with Spanish high-level journalist and opinion leaders to discuss how to push forward the 2030 Agenda.
- The OJeong Eco-Resilience Institute of Korea University and host of SDSN Korea supported the 8th Expert Group Meeting on water-food-ecosystem resilience and climate change adaptation.
- SDSN Member Tsinghua University summarized their 2018 “Meet SDGs” high-end forum that brought together more than 2,000 participants from around the world.
- SDSN Manager Lara Dahan attended the 3rd UAE Public Policy Forum where she delivered a talk on integrating the SDGs into universities.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Felipe Larraín was chosen by the English magazine The Banker as Minister of Finance of the Year of the Americas (in Spanish).
SDSN and Partners are Hiring
- Senior Analyst, FABLE Consortium, SDSN (Paris, France)
- Intern, SDG Index, SDSN (Paris, France)
- Postdoctoral Research Scholar, Ecosystems Services and Management Program (ESM), IIASA (Laxenburg, Austria)
- PhD Studentships, Data Science for the Natural Environment (DSNE), Lancaster University and the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (Lancashire, England)