Welcome to SDSN’s October 2018 Newsletter!
Launch of SDSN Black Sea
On 25 October, SDSN launched its newest regional network, the SDSN Black Sea. Hosted by the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, this new regional chapter will function as a hub for sustainable development for the wider area of the Black Sea.
SDSN’s Thematic Network on Data at the UN World Data Forum
SDSN TReNDS staff, experts, and guests gathered in Dubai for the 2018 UN World Data Forum and TReNDS’ own biannual meeting. SDSN and the UAE’s Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority signed an MOU, serving as a foundation of mutual collaboration on the use of data for the SDGs. TReNDS Director, Jessica Espey, hosted a panel conversation on approaches new and old to population monitoring. Read a full recap of the team’s activities here.
SDSN Southeast Asia Hosts Tri Hita Karana Forum for Sustainable Development
The SDSN Southeast Asia Network (SDSN SEA)co-hosted a conference dedicated to the topic of blended finance 9-11 October. Prior to the conference, SDSN SEA led a day of celebration on the island of Kura Kura Bali. The highlight of the week included an endorsement from the President of Indonesian who signed an MOU to work with SDSN and United in Diversity on the SDGs.
SDG Academy Partners with XuetangX
The SDG Academy is thrilled to announce its partnership with XuetangX, China’s premier MOOC platform, founded by Tsinghua University. The partnership opens many opportunities for the SDG Academy to share globally-sourced knowledge across China.
SDSN Signs MOU on Ecological Civilization Rating
This October, the SDG Institute at Tsinghua University, SDSN, and Eco Forum Global met in Beijing to outline shared work on developing an Ecological Civilization rating for Belt and Road Initiative countries.
SDSN in the Media
John Thwaites: Australia ranked worst in world on climate action, Planning News of Planning Institute of Australia via Informit – October 2018
Guido Schmidt-Traub and Michael Obersteiner: Fixing Our Broken Food System – A crucial SDG challenge, Center for International Relations and Sustainable Development – October 2018
Simone Rensch: Just 17: the world’s progress on ending poverty and pollution, Public Finance International – October 8, 2018
Aromar Revi et al.: Strengthening and implementing the global response, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) – October 9, 2018
Johan Rockström et al.: Options for keeping the food system within environmental limits, Nature: International Journal of Science – October 10, 2018
Upmanu Lall et al.: Sustainable Development of Water Resources: Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Water Stress in South Korea, MDPI – October 20, 2018
Jessica Espey and Jenna Slotin: The Missing Piece for Data: Financing the Revolution, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data – October 20, 2018
Upcoming SDSN Events
Inno4sd.net Symposium on Innovation for Sustainable Development
Organized by SDSN, Inno4sd.net, & Future Earth
7 November | Brussels, Belgium
Launch of SDSN France
Organized by SDSN, Kedge Business School, Université de Cergy-Pontoise, & Université PSL
13 November | Paris, France
Low-Emission Solutions Conference at COP24
Organized by SDSN, ICLEI, WBCSD with support from Enel
TBC | Katowice, Poland
Other News and Events
- SDSN Spain (REDS) launched the first SDG Spanish Cities Index on 16 October. The report shows the progress of 100 Spanish cities on the SDGs.
- SDSN’s Thematic Network on Health for All released the Achieving SDG 3: Policy Brief Series to mark the 40th anniversary of the Alma Ata Declaration.
- SDSN’s Thematic Network on Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems hosted a virtual e-conference on fall armyworm in Africa.
- SDSN TReNDS released a new series on the return on investment of data interventions. Explore their case studies here.
- SDSN Youth’s Global Schools Program launched its first hub of SDG resources for schools and educators.
- On 25-26 October, SDSN engaged in the 2nd International Congress on Human Rights exploring the synergies between the SDGs and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- SDSN Member Gaia Education launched their Training of Trainers course happening 10-16 November which will teach educators how to facilitate engagement. Register here.
- Conference proceedings from the 2018 International Conference on Sustainable Development have been posted.
- SDSN partner Climate-Transparency will release the 2018 Brown to Green report on 14 November. Register here.
- SDSN partner, The Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI),announced the opening of their 2019 Executive Training on Sustainable Investments in Agriculture applications. Apply here.
SDSN is Hiring
- Chief Financial Officer, SDSN Secretariat (New York, USA)
- Communications Intern, SDG Academy, (New York, USA)
- Education Intern, SDG Academy (New York, USA)