Welcome to SDSN’s September 2018 Newsletter!
SDSN UNGA Wrap Up
The 73rd Regular Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 73) opened at UN Headquarters on Tuesday, September 17, 2018. SDSN and our partners hosted the following events in and around the UNGA.
Launch of the SDG Center for Latin America and the Caribbean
On Friday, 21 September, students, professors, and representatives of serval universities from Colombia and the region, researchers, and policy makers, attended the launch of the SDG Center for Latin America and the Caribbean hosted by Universidad de los Andes and SDSN in Bogota, Colombia where the President of Colombia Ivan Duque, University of Los Andes Rector Pablo Navas, and Professor Jeffrey Sachs served as keynote speakers.
SDSN Releases 2018 Network Report
The 2018 Networks in Action report features a wide array of innovative solutions and initiatives led by SDSN’s national, regional, and thematic networks. It includes an introduction by Prof. Mariana Mazzucato on mission-oriented research for the SDGs.
Land-Energy Action for Climate Change Mitigation at California Climate Summit
The Land-Energy Nexus in Climate Change Mitigation event was a special edition of the Low-Emissions Solutions Conference (LESC) that took place alongside the Global Climate Action Summit (GCAS) in partnership with the University of California, Berkeley Lab, and the University of San Francisco in addition to other local partners. This event was supported by Enel.
SDSN and GEIDCO Announce Collaboration to Promote Clean Energy
SDSN is proud to announce the collaboration with the non-governmental organization Global Energy Interconnection Development and Cooperation Organization (GEIDCO) to promote global energy interconnection for decarbonizing energy.
SDSN Welcomes Belantara Foundation as a Strategic Collaborator in the Indonesia SDSN
With the rapid development of initiatives to meet the SDGs in Indonesia, and to disseminate local lessons learned to a global network, SDSN is welcoming a new member and strategic collaborator in its Indonesia SDSN, the Belantara Foundation.
SDSN in the Media
Lan Xue et al.: Change in public concerns and responsive behaviors toward air pollution Under the Dome, Risk Analysis – August 31, 2018
Patricia Espinosa et al.: The Climate Fight’s Next Turning Point, Project Syndicate – August 28, 2018
Justin Yifu Lin: China’s reform and opening up creates three major opportunities for Africa, People’s Daily – September 2, 2018
Amina Mohammed et al.: Healthy living, well-being and the sustainable development goals, Bulletin of the World Health Organization – September 2018
Ken Giller et al.: Risk management option in maize cropping systems in semi-arid areas of Southern Africa, Elsevier – September 2, 2018
Mariana Mazzucato et al.: Mission-oriented innovation policy and dynamic capabilities in the public sector, Industrial and Corporate Change – September 3, 2018
Justin Yifu Lin et al.: Financial Structure, Industrial Structure, and Economic Development: A New Structural Economics Perspective, The Manchester School – September 5, 2018
Srinath Reddy et al.: High-Quality health systems in the Sustainable Development Goals era: time for a revolution, The Lancet – September 5, 2018
Mariana Mazzucato: Who Really Creates Value in an Economy?, Project Syndicate – September 11, 2018
Ken Giller et al.: Food and nutrient gaps in rural Northern Ghana: Does production of smallholder farming households support adoption of food-based dietary guidelines?, PLoS ONE – September 13, 2018
Ken Giller et al.: Sustainable development goal 2: Improved targets and indicators for agriculture and food security, Ambio – September 28, 2018
Upcoming SDSN Events
Second Sustainability Forum for South-East Europe and the Mediterranean
Organized by SDSN Greece, SDSN Mediterranean, The Economist, Hazlis & Rivas, and the Sustainable Development Goals Center on Governance & Public Law
1-2 October | Athens, Greece
Blended Finance Conference: Mobilizing Private Capital for the SDGs at Scale
Organized by SDSN Southeast Asia
10-11 October | Bali, Indonesia
The SDGs and the Future of Europe
Organized by SDSN, ENoP, and SDSN Germany
15 October | Bonn, Germany
E-Conference on Responding to Fall Army Worm in Africa
Organized by SDSN Thematic Network on Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems
22-26 October | Online
G-STIC 2018 – Connecting technological innovation to decision making for sustainability
28-30 November 2018 | Brussels
Other News and Events
- On 30-31 August, SDSN Thematic Network on Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems convened the event Zero Hunger: Partnerships for Impact.
- The Transforming Australia: SDG Progress Report was developed by SDSN Australia, New Zealand & Pacific in partnership with the National Sustainable Development Council and the Monash Sustainable Development Institute.
- SDSN Hong Kong released the findings of a city-wide survey of young people’s opinions on sustainable development in Hong Kong and their awareness of the SDGs.
- SDSN TReNDS released a new case studies series produced with the Global Partnership on Sustainable Development Data: Return on Data Investments.
- SDSN Senior Adviser Jessica Espey and Nilda Mesa published Smarter New York City, describing the drivers and constraints behind urban innovation.
- SDSN member Tsinghua University and the University of Geneva welcomedthe first cohort of the Dual Master’s Program on the SDGs.
- SDSN member Gaia Education will open their online course “Design for Sustainability” on 15 October focused on supporting the redesign of the human presence on Earth.
- The G20 Summary SDG Index Report was released online during the T20 Meeting in Argentina. This summary report highlights key findings for G20 policymakers.
- SDSN President Chandrika Bahadur participated in the Philanthropy for Better Cities Forum 2018, co-hosted by the SDSN Hong Kong network.
- SDSN TReNDS member Jonathan Glennie reflects on how data can make the UN more relevant to the world than ever before.
- The IPCC Cities and Climate Change Conference co-hosted by SDSN releasedtheir Research and Action Agenda which was presented to the IPCC Panel during the 48th IPCC Plenary.
SDSN is Hiring
- Communications Intern, SDG Academy, (New York, USA)