The UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General. SDSN mobilizes global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development, including the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
We aim to accelerate joint learning and promote integrated approaches that address the interconnected economic, social, and environmental challenges confronting the world. The SDSN works closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral financing institutions, the private sector, academia and civil society.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Payroll Specialist / Accounting Associate will manage the payroll process for the NY office at SDSN and provide additional support to the Accounting team.
Manage entire payroll cycle:
- Organize employee personnel files and other HR related documents
- Recognize employee onboarding/ termination as it pertains to pay, tax withholding, and deductions for benefits
- Maintain data base of personnel information including benefit elections and contributions
- Provide up to date advice to senior management on HR related compliance requirements for the organization
- Extract and validate payroll requirements for each payroll
- Input bi-monthly payroll information to ADP interface
- Liaise with Heads of Finance of different groups within SDSN to receive information on compensation expense allocations
- Maintain process for updating compensation expense allocation to various grants and allocate compensation expense to grants prior to uploading compensation data to Intacct accounting software
- Create Journal Entry for payroll activity
- Run reports to validate and analyze compensation expense
- Support the budgeting and reporting processes by providing compensation information.
- Provide support to Accounting team by performing various bookkeeping, reporting and analytical and administrative support.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Working knowledge and understanding of multiple state income tax withholdings, benefit plans and general accounting. Understanding of filing requirements of W2s, 1099’s, quarterly tax filings, and labor law requirements
- 1-2 years of progressively responsible payroll experience, preferably within a nonprofit finance department. Accounting degree preferred
- Microsoft Excel Proficiency required, experience with ADP payroll and Intacct accounting software preferred
- Internal customer-service orientation and attitude
- Impeccable integrity and trustworthiness, with an ability to handle sensitive information and situations effectively and confidentially
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Analytical, proactiveness and problems solving abilities
- Demonstrated respect for diversity and multicultural sensitivity
- Ability to work closely and proactively with all levels of colleagues including senior management and Finance colleagues in multiple locations around the world
- Location: This position will be based in New York City, NY (Please note that candidates must have prior authorization to work in the United States, as we are unable to sponsor visas at this time)
- Contract Length: This appointment is valid for a period of one year, subject to renewal upon review of work performance
- Hours: Full time
- Reporting: This position reports to the CFO
- Salary: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience and includes a generous benefits package
- Travel: Minimal to none
Statement of Equal Employment Opportunity and Nondiscrimination
As an equal opportunity employer, SDSN is committed to ensuring that organization employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, creed, unemployment status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Full benefits package
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Must be fluent in English
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, submit a CV and cover letter to https://sdsn.hrpartner.io/jobs. We will contact only those candidates whose profile meets our requirements. Applications will be accepted until September 7, 2018.