The UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) has been operating since 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary-General. SDSN mobilizes global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development, including the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
We aim to accelerate joint learning and promote integrated approaches that address the interconnected economic, social, and environmental challenges confronting the world. The SDSN works closely with United Nations agencies, multilateral financing institutions, the private sector, academia and civil society.
SDSN has established 12 thematic networks comprising leading scientists, engineers, academics and practitioners from business and civil society to promote solutions to key challenges of sustainable development. The thematic networks aim to identify practical solutions to the challenges of sustainable development.
The Thematic Research Network on Data and Statistics (TReNDS) is one of SDSN’s most active thematic areas, a network comprised of 20+ experts from across the global data community. Through policy briefs, advisory services, grassroots support, and more, the network examines the data revolution and how its transforming the way governments, companies, and citizens operate and interact. TReNDS amplifies the ongoing work of its expert members while also providing catalytic support to Solutions Initiatives – innovations in data and technology that provide pathways to sustainable development.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Supporting the TReNDS team and the Communications Manager, the Design and Communications Intern will contribute to the operation and outputs of TReNDS. This position will be largely responsible for suggesting and drafting various communications materials (including social media posts); content management; helping with layout, design and updating content on webpages (existing and new); helping design briefings and reports using Adobe InDesign; event planning and support; and light administrative tasks relevant to the entirety of the TReNDS team’s work (including notetaking, maintaining an inventory of projects and initiatives, and similar).
As SDSN is a small team, it is likely that the Design and Communications Intern will be asked to contribute to tasks critical to the functioning of the New York team. These various tasks may include in-person support at special events (SDSN product launches, UN High Level Political Forum and UN General Assembly, U.S. Conference of Mayors) and strategizing with social media and outreach.
General Communications Support (25%)
- Support development of content calendar for social media and other owned channels
- Draft social media posts, including written content and some visual content
- Engage with expert thematic network and others to source content such as photos, videos, and written content
- Community management on social media and other forums
Web Support (30%)
- Maintain TReNDS web pages with up-to-date information and events
Production and Design (25%)
- Modify and apply existing design templates to suit needs of TReNDS publications
- Using Adobe InDesign, support production of high-quality final formatting and design of briefing series
Special Events and Projects (20%)
- Assist in planning of special events, including venue research, in-person support, and potentially management of external vendors such as video production teams
- Assist in preparation for in-person or virtual meetings
- At least one year of experience in marketing and communications and/or event planning preferred; can include part-time internships, skills-based academic work, and similar
- Bachelor’s degree or in-progress Bachelor’s degree desired
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (including interpersonal skills) required
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (or a willingness/aptitude to learn!)
- Interest in the mission of SDSN or the broader themes of sustainable development, data and innovation, and/or data and innovation for development
- Experience in an academic or non-profit setting preferred
- Candidates should be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and a strong team player
- Current eligibility to work in the U.S. (applicants without prior authorization to work in the U.S. will not be considered)
- The position is based in New York
- The position is part time (20 hours per week) and may occasionally require the incumbent to be available for early mornings, nights, and weekend
- The position reports to the Director of TReNDS
Compensation for this position is $15 per hour.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (less than two pages) through https://sdsn.hrpartner.io/jobs. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through July 31, 2018.