Welcome to SDSN’s March 2018 Newsletter!
Public Consultation on 2018 SDG Index and Dashboard Report Launched
On 30 April Bertelsmann Stiftung and SDSN published draft findings of the 2018 report for public review and consultation. The report rates country performance on the SDGs. We are seeking comments through to 11 May for inclusion in the report, which will be published in early July ahead of the UN High-Level Political Forum (HLPF).
SDSN Releases White Paper on Decarbonizing the Northeastern United States
SDSN, Hydro-Quebéc, and Evolved Energy Research have shown that present policies in the Northeastern United States cannot reach regional greenhouse gas emission reduction goals. This white paper analyzes how the region can reach 80% emissions reductions by 2050 using a mix of Canadian hydropower and regional renewables in a cost-effective way.
2018 Happiness Festival: A Collaborative Celebration for a Happier Indonesia
Achieving balance between people, nature, and spiritual wellbeing is one way to achieve universal happiness. This philosophy makes up the core of the SDG Pyramid developed by the SDSN Southeast Asia network and was the fundamental motivation behind the Happiness Festival they hosted last month.
New SDG Academy Course: Can we Transform Development Practice?
Climate change. Extreme events. Social and political shocks. Learn how to use resilience thinking in a world full of surprises by enrolling in the new SDG Academy course Transforming Development: The Science and Practice of Resilience Thinking. The course launches April 30, but enrollment will remain open after launch.
SDSN in the Media
Adolf Kloke-Lesch & Janina Sturm: Team-Building for the 2030 Agenda – Diplomatisches Magazin, April 2018
Ken E. Giller et al.: Agricultural land use change and associated driving forces over the past 180 years in two municipalities of the Brazilian Cerrado Springer – April 12, 2018
Jeffrey D. Sachs: Forget Trans Mountain, here’s the sustainable way forward for Canada’s energy sector, The Globe and Mail – April 13, 2018
Eugénie L. Birch, Aromar Revi et al.: The UN, the Urban Sustainable Development Goal, and the New Urban Agenda, in: Urban Planet (Elmqvist, et al.), May 2018
Upcoming SDSN Events
Launch of SDSN Canada
Organized by SDSN Canada
7-8 May | Waterloo, Canada
SDSN Northern Europe Solutions Initiatives Forum (SIF)
Organized by SDSN Northern Europe
14 May | Stockholm, Sweden
Transforming Sectors: SDG Implementation in Sweden
Organized by SDSN, SDSN Northern Europe, Stockholm School of Economics, Sida, & Global Utmaning
15 May | Stockholm, Sweden
SDSN Leadership Council Meeting
Organized by SDSN
15-16 May | Stockholm, Sweden
Other News and Events
- SDSN Youth in the Australia/Pacific has released a statement to aid the Australian Government in their Voluntary National Review process for the SDGs.
- The FABLE Pathways Consortium South American country teams met on 19-21 March to develop a regional approach to long-term FABLE Pathways. Read their outcomes here.
- SDSN and the SDG Center for Africa have concluded an open consultation on a draft Africa SDG Index and Dashboard.
- SDSN participated in the 4th Workshop of the Partners for Review in Tbilisi, Georgia. A preliminary meeting was also hosted by the University of Georgia to discuss potentially creating a new network within SDSN.
- SDSN’s Local Data Action Solutions Initiative has announced their mircro-grant selections.
- SDSN Youth released their 2017 #KnowYourGoals campaign report, which showcases the efforts of 150 communities and organizations in localizing the SDGs.
- SDSN member Gaia Education announced their 15-hour introductory course, Designing for Sustainability, that leads students into sustainable living and great resilience.
- The Global Environment Facility (GEF) held their final replenishment meeting on April 25 where close to 30 countries pledged $4.1bn towards the GEF and its work supporting the Paris Agreement.
- Dr. Jim Williams, Director of the Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project, is helping to launch a new graduate program in energy at the University of San Francisco. The program is still accepting applications for admission this fall.
- After 12 months of intensive training, research, and consultation, SDSN Youth’s local pathways fellowship 2017 program is coming to an end. The cohorts have captured their journey in this report.
- SDSN Leadership Council member, Jane Lubchenco, received the prestigious Vannevar Bush Aware for her work in marine ecology.
- You can still catch up on open SDG Academy courses like Sustainable Cities. Enroll now at SDGAcademy.org!
SDSN is Hiring
- Associate, FABLE Consortium, SDSN Secretariat (Paris, France)