Welcome to SDSN’s March 2018 Newsletter!
2018 World Happiness Report Launched
The launch of the 6th edition of the World Happiness Report at the Vatican generated unprecedented interest around the world. It complements the first-ever Global Happiness Policy Report launched in Dubai in February 2018. This year Finland takes the top spot as the happiest country as measured by surveys undertaken by Gallup from 2015-2017.
IPCC Cities and Climate Change Conference Sets a New Urban Research & Action Agenda
Over the course of three days at this major international conference, scientists, policymakers, researchers, and development experts worked to assess the current state of academic and practice-based knowledge related to cities and climate change, identify key knowledge priorities, and chart a course forward for academic, practitioner, and urban policy-making communities. SDSN participated in a variety of ways.
SDSN Australia/Pacific Network Hosts SDG Summit
Australia’s second SDG Summit was attended by nearly 300 stakeholders. Participants discussed how to achieve the SDGs ahead of Australia’s Voluntary National Review (VNR) presentation at the 2018 High-Level Political Forum in July.
Third Meeting of The World in 2050 Consortium
IIASA convened the third meeting of The World in 2050 Consortium to prepare the first scientific publications related to this initiative and a report to be launched a the 2018 High-Level Political Forum.
- April 2 – Sustainable Cities: How urban sustainability can be delivered
- April 16 – Feeding a Hungry Planet: Improving food and agriculture systems
- April 30 – Transforming Development: The Science and Practice of Resilience Thinking: Taking action in a complex world
SDSN in the Media
Matteo Deleidi & Mariana Mazzucato: Putting Austerity to Bed: Technical progress, aggregate demand, and the supermultiplier, ISI Growth – February 2018
Guido Schmidt-Traub: Promoting innovation: Lessons from the Global Fund, OECD Development Matters – February 15, 2018
Pavel Kabat et al.: Managing flood risks in the Mekong Delta: How to address emerging challenges under climate change and socioeconomic developments, Ambio – February 24, 2018
Virgilio Viana & Victor Salviati: Bolsa Floresta Programme, Brazil in: Ecosystems, poverty alleviation and conditional transfers, Ina Porras, Nigel Asquith (eds.), IIED – March 2018
Justin Yifu Lin et al.: Slowdown in the People’s Republic of China, Asian Development Bank Institute – March 2018
Anthony Annett: Restoring Ethics to Economics, International Monetary Fund – March 2018
Jeffrey Sachs: World Happiness Report 2018 Interview (VIDEO), Deutsche Welle, March 14, 2018
Monsignor Marcelo Sánchez Sorondo et al.: Health, Faith, and Science on a Warming Planet – JAMA – March 15, 2018
Guido Schmidt-Traub: How the Global Fund Drives Innovation, SDSN Working Paper – March 18, 2018
Guido Schmidt-Traub: How to Work Together, UNA-UK – March 19, 2018
Upcoming SDSN Events
SDSN Northern Europe Solutions Initiatives Forum (SIF)
14 May | Stockholm, Sweden
SDSN Leadership Council Meeting
15-16 May | Stockholm, Sweden
Global Solutions Summit
28-29 May | Berlin, Germany
Other News and Events
- From 13-30 March, SDSN and the SDG Center for Africa held a public consultation on a prototype SDG Index and Dashboard for Africa.
- SDSN and the Master’s of Development Practice Program at Columbia University have published the Call for Abstracts for ICSD 2018! Kindly submit before the May 1 deadline.
- The European Network of Political Foundations (ENoP) and SDSN have agreed to cooperate in the promotion of the SDGs across the European Union.
- The SDSN Hong Kong Network has developed a special exhibition on vanishing glaciers to be installed in the Jockey Club Museum of Climate Change.
- SDSN TReNDS engaged with global experts and data community in Bristol, UK as part of their annual in-person meeting.
- SDSN’s partner WBCSD released a new report on “Innovation in Power Purchase Agreement Structures” to help companies set up renewable Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs).
- SDSN Southeast Asia has announced the winners of their Seawall Design Competition.
- The SDSN Thematic Network on Good Governance of Extractive and Land Resources (GGELR) announced the Her Land Her Story webinar on April 20.Register now to join.
- The Columbia Center for Sustainable Investment, host of the GGELR Network, launched a new report entitled Governing Land Investments: Do Governments Have Legal Support Gaps? and published a book chapter on Implementing Shared-Use of Mining Infrastructure to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Join SDSN Member Gaia Education’s next Training of Trainers in Canada to become a certified trainer in how to teach, facilitate, and train people with a focus on building capacity for local SDG implementation.
- Congratulations to the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre (BHRRC)and Green Advocates International who received funding through the SDSN Member OpenLandContracts.org Mini-Grants Program!
- SDSN’s first social media thunderclap campaign on the 2018 World Happiness Report was a success generating over 300,000 views online. View SDSN Hong Kong’s creative support of it here.
- The SDG Academy reflected on the challenge of multilingualism in sustainable development education.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Johan Rockström was appointed Director at Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research.
- SDSN Member ClimateWorks Australia has posted a job opening for a Senior Analyst to support their “Pathways to Prosperity” program.
SDSN is Hiring
- Administrative Assistant, SDSN Secretariat (New York)
- Associate, Private Giving Initiative for the Sustainable Development Goals, SDSN Secretariat (New York)
- Education Manager, SDG Academy (New York)
- Program Associate, National and Regional Networks, SDSN Secretariat (New York, New York)
- Internship, National and Regional Networks, SDSN Secretariat (New York, New York)
- Communications Intern, SDSN Youth (New York)
- Events Intern, SDSN Youth (New York)
- Networks & Partnerships Intern, SDSN Youth (New York)
- Operations Intern, SDSN Youth (New York)