Welcome to SDSN’s February 2018 Newsletter!
Launch of SDSN Switzerland
Introducing our 25th network, SDSN Switzerland! Co-hosted by The Centre for Development and Environment at the University of Bern and BIOVISION Foundation, SDSN Switzerland focuses on shaping multi-stakeholder dialogue, fostering sustainable development solutions, and advising decision-makers on the implementation of Agenda 2030 and the Paris Climate Agreement.
Global Happiness Policy Report Released!
A new companion to the World Happiness Report (WHR) was recently released that explores evidence on drivers of happiness. The new Global Happiness Policy Report helps to fill the gap in knowledge on how countries may improve well-being through policy. This is the first output from the Global Happiness Council (GHC) which was formed last year. The Global Happiness Policy Report was presented at the World Government Summit held in Dubai on 10 February, 2018.
SDG Center for Latin America and the Caribbean Launching
Universidad de los Andes (Uniandes) and the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) are jointly establishing an SDG Center for Latin America and the Caribbean, to be housed at Uniandes in Bogotá.
Join SDSN’s March 2018 Happiness Campaign!
Every year, #InternationalDayofHappiness falls on the 20th of March inviting the world to gather and celebrate each other’s personal and collective happiness. This year SDSN is launching its first global campaign, asking our network to take action and help spread the word about the World Happiness Report and the SDGs.
Upcoming SDG Academy Courses on Sustainable Agriculture and Cities
Interested in the sustainability of food and agriculture systems? Dive deep into the workings of these systems in the Mediterranean region in Sustainable Food Systems: A Mediterranean Perspective, launching March 12. And coming up April 2: a relaunch of student-favorite Sustainable Cities, covering urban development and its intersection with sustainability.
SDSN in the Media
Amina J. Mohammed: A call to action: improving women’s, children’s, and adolescents’ health in the Muslim world, The Lancet – January 31, 2018
James Hansen et al.: The climate-smart village approach: framework of an integrative strategy for scaling up adaptation options in agriculture, Ecology and Society – February 2018.
Mari Pangestu and Shiro Armstrong: Asian economic integration: The state of play, Australian National University – February 2018
James Hansen et al.: Climate risk management and rural poverty reduction, Agricultural Systems – February 1, 2018
Johan Rockström, Katherine Richardson et al.: Planetary Boundaries: Separating Fact from Fiction. A Response to Montoya et al., Trends in Ecology and Evolution – February 6, 2018
Patricia Espinosa: “This Moment is your Moment” – Patricia Espinosa to Global Youth, UN Climate Change – February 8, 2018
Jeffrey Sachs: The World Bank Needs to Return to Its Mission, Project Syndicate – February 9, 2018
Martin Visbeck: Ocean science research is key for a sustainable future, Nature Communications – February 15, 2018
Guido Schmidt-Traub: Promoting Innovation: Lessons from the Global Fund, Development Matters – February 15, 2018
James Hansen et al.: Farming with crops and rocks to address global climate, food and soil security, Nature Plants – February 19, 2018
Jeffrey Sachs: Trump’s War Psyche and World Peace, Project Syndicate – February 23, 2018
Upcoming SDSN Events
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for Latin America
2 March | Bogota, Colombia
IPCC Cities and Climate Change Conference
5-7 March | Edmonton, Canada
The World in 2050 Meeting
6-7 March | Vienna, Austria
Launch of the 2018 World Happiness Report
14 March | Vatican City
UN Launch of the 2018 World Happiness Report
20 March | New York City, USA
Global Festival of Action
21-23 March | Bonn, Germany
5th Asia-Pacific Forum on Sustainable Development
28-30 March | Bangkok, Thailand
World Happiness Festival
31 March – 1 April | Jakarta, Indonesia
Other News and Events
- SDSN is hiring an Associate for our new initiative: Private Giving Initiative for the SDGs based out of the New York office.
- SDSN South Asia hosted a meeting to discuss how to localize the SDGsthrough collaboration in this diverse region.
- SDSN and the Master’s of Development Practice have published the Call for Abstracts for ICSD 2018! Kindly submit before the May 1 deadline.
- On 20 April, CCSI, host of SDSN’s Thematic Network on Good Governance of Extractive and Land Resources, together with the Land Portal Foundation and the Cadasta Foundation, will host a Webinar entitled Her Land Her Story.
- On the final day of the World Urban Forum, SDSN Malaysia launched a new publication “Towards Achieving Sustainable Cities and Communities.”
- The new SDSN Hong Kong network, which launched earlier this year, has just published their website to showcase the efforts they will soon undertake.
- The Getting Started with the SDGs in Universities Guide developed by SDSN Australia/Pacific is now available in Japanese and Spanish.
- SDSN Great Lakes launched its new public lecture series with a talk at the University of Rwanda by Professor François Naramabuye entitled “Customizing the SDGs to Rwanda’s Development Priorities.”
- SDSN has partnered with the CCSI, the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre, and Equitable Origin to create a mapping document for the energy sector that traces the points of intersection between renewable energy and the SDGs.
- The SDSN Youth SDG Coordinator application period has opened. Coordinators work with local SDSN networks to ensure that all students in their schools are aware of the SDGs and positioned to take action.
- SDSN Amazon’s Summer School is a 21-day intensive program focused on building capacities to understand, reflect on, and take action in the field of sustainable development. Deadline for applications is 1 April.
- H. E. Bambang Brodjonegoro, Minister of National Development Planning of Indonesia, discussed SDSN Southeast Asia’s SDG Happiness Pyramid at the 2018 World Government Summit.
- The Spanish Parliament passed a resolution that calls on the government to use the SDG Index and Dashboards to establish a baseline analysis of Spain’s SDG implementation gaps.
- SDSN Mediterranean Chair, Angelo Riccaboni, launched a call for proposals for an integrated program on food systems and water resources for Euro-Mediterranean societies called PRIMA.
- SDSN Director Jeffrey Sachs hosted Robert Lustig, MD at Columbia University to discuss the focus of Dr. Lustig’s latest publication, The Hacking of the American Mind: The Science Behind the Corporate Takeover of Our Bodies and Brains.
- SDSN Leadership Council Member James Hansen spoke at the Nordic Business Forum on “Energy, Climate, and Policy – Risks and Opportunities.”
- Patricia Espinosa, Executive Director of UN Climate Change and SDSN Leadership Council Member, gave optimistic remarks on CO2 emissions in an interview (in German).