Welcome to SDSN’s January 2018 Newsletter!
Introducing SDSN Hong Kong: a New Network, a New Voice, a New Year
The SDSN is extending its reach with the launch of our newest network, SDSN Hong Kong, co-hosted by The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) and The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust. The network was officially launched on 8 January at CUHK.
On 26 January, SDSN and the Global Development Incubator convened a high-level side event at the Winter Meeting of the US Conference of Mayors, in partnership with the City of New Orleans and Mayor Dyer of Orlando. Participants discussed how the SDGs can promote sustainable development in cities across America.
The Jeffrey Sachs Center on Sustainable Development at Sunway University, Malaysia has paired up with SDG Academy to create a Blended Learning Program combining the Academy’s expert-led online syllabus with in-person classroom instruction, tailored to the national context of Malaysia.
Student-favorite SDG Academy course Natural Resources in Sustainable Development is relaunching 5 February – and is now fully available in Arabic, as well as English! The course includes new content on good governance, corruption, the environment, and more. Video transcripts are also available in Spanish, French, and Russian.
The Local Data Action Solutions Initiative will provide a limited number of micro grants as part of its objective to promote sound, replicable, technical methods for sub-national SDG monitoring that facilitate local action in support of the “Leave No One Behind” principle that is part of Agenda 2030. The deadline is 19 February. You can apply here.
SDSN in the Media
Alexei Kudrin and Vladimir Mau: The Principles and Goals of the Russian State in the Twenty-First Century, In: Studin I. (eds) Russia. Palgrave Macmillan, London – 31 December, 2017
Obersteiner et al.: How to spend a dwindling greenhouse gas budget, Nature Climate Change – 2 January, 2018
Guido Schmidt-Traub: The role of the Technical Review Panel of the Global Fund to Fight HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria: an analysis of grant recommendations, Health Policy and Planning – 4 January, 2018
Jeffrey Sachs: A bold bid for climate justice, CNN – 11 January, 2018
Oliver Milman: ‘A really big deal’: New York City’s fossil fuel divestment could spur global shift, The Guardian – 11 January, 2018
Jeffrey Sachs: The West’s Broken Promises on Education Aid, Project Syndicate – 17 January, 2018
Gordon G. Liu: Urbanization and Social Welfare in China, Routledge – 18 January, 2018
Upcoming SDSN Events
SDG Conference “Knowledge for Our Common Future”
8-9 February | Bergen, Norway
From Knowledge to Action: 3rd German Future Earth Summit
8-9 February | Berlin, Germany
2018 Winter Youth Assembly
14-16 February | New York, USA
Launch of SDSN Switzerland
15 February | Berne, Switzerland
19-20 February | Athens, Greece
Hacking of the American Mind: A Discussion with Dr. Lustig
22 February | New York, USA
Other News and Events
- SDSN Germany Co-chair, Dirk Messner, discussed international spillover effects of national actions in this blog.
- The SDSN Thematic Network on Good Governance of Extractives and Land Resources blog series continued on the land portal’s online library. DFID’s Chris Penrose Buckley contributed this month.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Paul Polman wrote about how The Food and Land Use (FOLU) Coalition may fix a broken food system with help from partners like Unilever.
- The SDG Center for Africa announced plans for a sub-regional center for West Africa to be hosted in Liberia
- SDSN Youth Philippines have published their report from the 2017 Youth Solutions Forum.
- SDG Academy announced a new course on Environmental Security and Sustaining Peace, launching March 1. Discover how to make natural resources a reason for cooperation rather than conflict in this course.
- Belay Begashaw, the Director General of the SDG Center for Africa, was named one of the co-chairs of the “Cooperation with Africa Task Force” for the T20 in Argentina this year.
- SDSN Italia hosted the 1st Global Conference on “Reporting for Results-based REDD+ Actions.”
- SDSN member Gaia Education, in partnership with UNESCO GAP, reached 1,000 people with their SDGs Flashcards and associated Training.
- SDSN partner WBCSD released a report on corporate renewable power purchase agreements in Argentina.
- The Global Association of Master’s in Development Practice Programs (MDP) requested abstract submission for the Education for Sustainable Development Report. Apply by March 15.
- SDSN, with Pratham Education Foundation and the Indian Institute of Human Settlements (IIHS), co-hosted a public lecture in New Delhi by Leadership Council member, Prof. Hirokazu Yoshikawa on Investing in Early Childhood Care: A Foundation for A Sustainable Future.
- SDSN Leadership Council member Johan Rockström was named new co-chair of Future Earth Advisory Committee at the Stockholm Resilience Center.
- Upmanu Lall, SDSN Leadership Council member, was recognized as a Fellow of the American Geophysical Union.
- Hirokazu Yoshikawa, SDSN Leadership Council member, is named 2018 Fellow of the American Academy of Political and Social Science.