Welcome to SDSN’s July 2017 Newsletter!
2017 SDG Index and Dashboards Launched Around the Globe
The 2017 SDG Index and Dashboards, prepared jointly with the Bertelsmann Stiftung, were launched at the G20 in Germany, the HLPF in New York, the SDG Center for Africa in Rwanda, and at SDSN Network events in Spain. This year’s report presents new SDG data and focuses on international “spillover effects,” or the influence of countries’ policies and actions on the ability of others to achieve the SDGs. All data and country profiles are available online. See also SDSN Youth infographics and charts on the 2017 report.
2017 UN High-Level Political Forum (HLPF)
SDSN organized several events around the HLPF 2017. The official discussions featured voluntary national reviews by 44 countries and focused on the theme of eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions through promoting sustainable development, expanding opportunities, and addressing related challenges.
SDG16 Data Initiative: 2017 Global Report Launched
The inaugural Global Report of the SDG16 Data Initiative was launched at the UN High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) on 13 July and in a webinar on 26 July. The 2017 Global Report is intended to provide governments, UN officials, and civil society stakeholders with a resource for tracking progress on SDG16 targets. It serves as an evidence base to help policymakers identify opportunities for strengthening the implementation and monitoring of SDG16.
SDSN Great Lakes Regional Conference
On 12 July, SDSN Great Lakes held a conference in Kigali, Rwanda, on “Local Solutions to Achieve the SDGs,” in partnership with the University of Rwanda College of Business and Economics. The regional conference brought together 150 participants to discuss the SDG Index as well as innovative local solutions to sustainable development challenges.
SDSN in the Media
Guido Schmidt-Traub, Three challenges we must overcome to secure the future of food, Guardian, July 28, 2017
Cynthia Rosenzweig et al.: Characterizing agricultural impacts of recent large-scale US droughts and changing technology and management, Agricultural Systems – July 24, 2017
Guido Schmidt-Traub, Christian roll, Jeffrey Sachs et al.: National baselines for the Sustainable Development Goals assessed in the SDG Index and Dashboards, Nature Geoscience – July 17, 2017
Institute for Energy Research: ‘Deep Decarbonization’ vs. Direct-Use Natural Gas, Canada Free Press – July 15, 2017
Jeffrey D. Sachs: The G20s Harmony Without Trump, Project Syndicate – July 11, 2017
Jeffrey D. Sachs: A warning on the eve of the G-20 Summit, Boston Globe – July 5, 2017
African leaders endorse major new initiatives to end AIDS, News Ghana – July 4, 2017
Dario Piselli et al.: SDSN Youth Solutions Report Policy Brief No. 1 – July 2017
Christiana Figueres, Johan Rockström et al.: Three years to safeguard our climate, Nature – June 28, 2017
“Patricia Espinosa highlights role of cities in global climate action” (in Spanish), UNFCCC – June 27, 2017
Upmanu Lall et al.: Framework for minimizing the impact of regional shocks on global food security using multi-objective ant colony optimization, Environmental Modelling & Software – June 27, 2017
Upcoming SDSN Events
SDG Academy Webinar: Meet Our Leaders: Julia Marton-Lefèvre
2 August | Facebook livestream @sdgacademy.org
Ibadan Sustainable Development Summit
21-25 August | Ibadan, Nigeria
Other News and Events
- SDSN Youth has relaunched their #KnowYourGoals campaign which allows local organizers and partners to raise awareness of the SDGs and to celebrate success stories which showcase examples of local solutions that are tackling sustainable development challenges.
- The Education Quality and Learning for All (EQUAL) Global Network, co-sponsored by New York University’s Global TIES for Children Center and the SDSN, announced a request for proposals for Seed Grants related to measurement of Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4 indicators as well as quality of education.
- Cities Alliance announced they are hiring an intern to support their team for the Cities IPCC event in March 2018.
- President Juan Manuel Santos of Colombia along with Dr. Alaa Murabit, an SDG Advocate and Founder of the Voice of Libyan Women, have confirmed their participation at ICSD, where they will each deliver a keynote address. Other confirmed speakers include United Nations Foundation CEO Kathy Calvin, LADOL CEO Amy Jadesimi, General Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan of Indonesia, and SDSN Director Jeffrey Sachs.
- More than 100 young Australian leaders from 75+ student associations and youth organizations gathered in Melbourne last year for the first ever National Youth Summit on the SDGs to discuss and collaborate on the implementation of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Australia. Here’s their Summit Outcomes Report.
- SDSN member Gaia Education’s ‘Design for Sustainability’ online programme offers participants a whole-systems design understanding of sustainable communities. Register now for the early bird discount plus a bonus introductory course and become a practitioner of regenerative development.