Welcome to SDSN’s April 2017 Newsletter!
The Jeffrey Sachs Center for Sustainable Development hosted a Workshop for ASEAN Governments
Titled “Navigating the Headwinds of Sustainable Development in ASEAN,” the two-day workshop brought together Ministers and Senior Government Officials from seven ASEAN countries for the first time to talk about the SDGs and the collective challenge they present for the region.
San José SDG Dashboard Demo Available
A team of students, lecturers, and researchers in San José have collaborated with community leaders to design this interactive and replicable tool for SDG implementation in cities.
Members of The World in 2050 initiative met at IIASA (Vienna) on 3-5 April to advance integrated modeling of the SDGs and the objectives of the Paris Climate Agreement. The Belmont Forum, which mobilizes national science funders, is preparing a Collaborative Research Action in support of TWI2050.
IIASA and SDSN are launching the Food, Agriculture, Biodiversity, Land-use, Energy (FABLE) initiative to develop long-term global and national pathways towards sustainable land use and food systems. Some 50 organizations, including many country teams, participated in this second meeting.
Registration is Now Open for ICSD 2017
The Global Association of Master’s in Development Practice Programs (MDP), in collaboration with SDSN, are thrilled to announce that the Fifth Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD) will take place on 18 & 19 September, 2017, at Columbia University in New York City.
Coming Soon: SDG Academy’s New “Ecosystems” MOOC
The SDG Academy began filming its newest course on terrestrial ecosystems in Manaus, Brazil, with SDSN Leadership Council member Virgilio Viana, Director General of the Amazonas Sustainable Foundation. The course will explore how to protect and manage terrestrial ecosystems through policy, programs, and community-based initiatives. It is expected to be released in late 2017.
SDSN in the Media
President Tarja Halonen: Sustained by strong Nordic traditions, Suomi Finland 100 – 24 April, 2017
Eillie Anzilotti: Eating Meat Is Bad For The Planet: But What About Just Eating Less Meat?, Fast Company – 18 April, 2017
Belay Begashaw: Global governance for SDGs, D+C – 16 April, 2017
Adolf Kloke-Lesch: Sustainably overstrained?, D+C – 15 April, 2017
Jeffrey Sachs and Guido Schmidt-Traub: Global Fund Lessons for Sustainable Development Goals, Science – 7 April, 2017
Hari Pulakkat: The precarious situation of India’s water problem, Economic Times – 2 April, 2017
Margaret Torn et al.: The whole-soil carbon flux in response to warming, Science – 31 March, 2017
Lan Xue et al.: Energy Performance Contract models for the diffusion of green-manufacturing technologies in China: A stakeholder analysis from SMEs’ perspective, Energy Policy – 23 March, 2017
Monsignor Marcelo Sánchez Sorondo: 50 claves de la Laudato Si´ (in Spanish), Eco Integración de América Latina – 21 March, 2017
Saleem H. Ali, et al.: Mineral supply for sustainable development requires resource governance, Nature – 16 March 2017
Dominique Maingot: Using cameras to empower women around the world, Virgin – 14 March, 2017
David Funkhouser: Women Leaders Tackle the Urban Climate Challenge, State of the Planet – 8 March, 2017
Dominique Maingot: 50 global youth solutions to inspire you, Virgin – 1 March, 2017
Hirokazu Yoshikawa et al.: Moving beyond the model minority, Asian American Journal of Psychology – March 2017
Upcoming SDSN Events
SDSN Youth Webinar: Young People and Sustainable Development
2 May, 9-10 AM EST | Facebook livestream @SDSNYouth
SDG Academy Webinar: Meet Our Leaders: Klaus Leisinger
4 May, 10-11 AM EST | Facebook livestream @sdgacademy.org
SDG Data Archive-a-thon
6 May | Washington D.C.
Asia Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Forum III
11-12 May | Hong Kong
STI Forum Side Event: “Open Data and Open Science for the SDGs”
15 May, 6:15-7:30 PM EST | New York and livestreamed/tweeted @UNSDSN
29-31 May | Berlin
Other News and Events
- SDSN is currently looking to fill two open positions: Associate Director/ Head of New York Office and Manager of SDG Index (Paris). Apply today!
- SDSN partner Agrium has recently launched a new game: Farmers 2050! Players plant crops, raise animals, and craft goods to sell locally and globally – all the while managing the three pillars of sustainability: environment, economic and social.
- On 24 April, the Federal Government of Germany adopted a political declaration calling for close national and international cooperation on sustainable development.
- Johan Rockström, professor of environmental science and director of the Stockholm Resilience Center, was awarded the St. Erik Medal for his outstanding contributions to the city of Stockholm.
- Feike Sijbesma was unanimously voted “Alumnus of the Year” by Utrecht University for using his power as CEO of DSM to combat malnourishment and advocate for a sustainable future.
- The Université Pierre et Marie Curie awarded SDSN Leadership Council member Prince Albert II of Monaco a Docteur Honoris Causa for his dedication to the protection of the environment.
- Miguel Ángel Moratinos Cuyaubé, former foreign minister of Spain and current Leadership Council member, criticized missed opportunities for peace in the Middle East and proposed new strategies at an event where he was awarded the Dr. Jean Mayer Global Citizenship Award.
- SDSN member Gaia Education is launching the Worldview dimension of the ‘Design for Sustainability’ E-Learning programme starting 8 May. Learn to identify different perspectives and value systems, put them into context, and facilitate multi-stakeholder dialogues to support the global transition to sustainability.
- Seven SDSN Youth staff were featured in UNEP’s Faces4Change– a collection highlighting inspiring young people who are integrating sustainability into their lifestyles.