Welcome to SDSN’s December 2016 Newsletter!
Official Launch of the Jeffrey Sachs Center on Sustainable Development
Malaysia established itself as a leader in the global effort to promote sustainable development with the official launch of the Jeffrey Sachs Center on Sustainable Development at Sunway University and with support from the Jeffrey Cheah Foundation. The Center is the first of its kind in Asia.
Launch of the SDG Index & Dashboard in Spain
SDSN Spain launched the Spanish edition of the SDG Index & Dashboard in Madrid on December 12. The event had two main objectives: 1) to present the SDG Index, a global report and country ranking prepared by SDSN and the Bertelsmann Foundation in July 2016, and 2) to assess where Spain is situated in this ranking and why.
Upcoming Book Launch: “Building the New American Economy: Smart, Fair and Sustainable,” by Jeffrey D. Sachs
In this passionate and powerful new book – part manifesto, part plan of action – Sachs dwells on issues that have captivated the nation and political debate, including infrastructure, trade deals, energy policy, the proper size and role of government, the national debt, and income inequality. This event will include a lecture by Professor Sachs, followed by a book signing. The event is free and open to the public. Register now.
SDSN Year in Review
2016 was a year full of action, excitement and surprise in the arena of sustainable development. SDSN launched a new SDG Index and Dashboards, rolled out multiple new courses at the SDG Academy, hosted several successful international conferences in Brussels, New York and Marrakesh and more.
SDSN in the Media
Justin Yifu Lin and Yan Wang: Going Beyond Aid: Development Cooperation for Structural Transformation, Cambridge University Press – Dec 31, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Learning to Love a Multipolar World, Project Syndicate – Dec 29, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Let’s Make 2017 The Year Of Ethics And Morality, Forbes – Dec 28, 2016
Pavel Kabat et al.: Building Regional Water-Use Scenarios Consistent with Global Shared Socioeconomic Pathways, Environmental Processes – Dec 24, 2016
Adolf Kloke-Lesch: 2017 – After the magic of beginnings, Bonn Sustainability Portal – Dec 22, 2016
Dario Piselli, Can Agenda 2030 change the norm?, Dag Hammarskjold Foundation – Dec 14, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs, Focused global strategy needed to end child slavery by 2025, Reuters – Dec 13, 2016
Marcelo Sánchez Sorondo et al. (eds.): Children and Sustainable Development – Dec 9, 2016
CB Bhattacharya and Paul Polman: Sustainability Lessons From the Front Lines, MIT Sloan Management Review – Dec 8, 2016
Shaid Naeem et al.: Biodiversity and human well-being: an essential link for sustainable development, The Royal Society – Dec 7, 2016
Srinath Reddy at al.: India’s new health systems knowledge platform—making research matter, The Lancet – Dec 3, 2016
Srinath Reddy et al.: Cardiovascular Diseases on the Global Agenda, Global Heart – Dec 1, 2016
Achim Dobermann: Looking forward to 2030: Nitrogen and the Sustainable Development Goals, Proceedings of the 2016 International Nitrogen Initiative Conference – Dec 2016
Virgilio Viana: Why Brazil Needs to Rethink its Restrictions on Carbon Trading, Huffington Post – Nov 25, 2016
Upcoming SDSN Events
Book Launch: “Building the New American Economy: Smart, Fair and Sustainable,” by Jeffrey D. Sachs
18 January, New York
Lead: Center on Sustainable Development
United Nations Youth Assembly
1-3 February, New York
Lead: UN Youth Assembly Committee and SDSN
Other News and Events
- SDSN Leadership Council Co-chair Amina Mohammed was appointed Deputy Secretary-General to United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres.
- Since the establishment of the Sunway Group in 1974, the company has made great social contributions throughout Malaysia. Check out their 2017 New Year’s message.
- Sign up for the SDSN Youth Newsletter!
- The New York Society for Ethical Culture, in conjunction with the Sustainable Development Solutions Network and Religions for Peace, is convening Ethics in Action NYC workshops in order to help build a shared vision of the common good for NYC and to help guide problem solving in NYC and in the US.
- SDSN Brazil held its second national forum. This year the focus was on SDG 11+, going beyond Goal 11 to take into consideration all SDGs connected with urban sustainable development.
- SDSN Nigeria, in partnership with a number of private sector representatives and led by First Planet Consultant Ltd, hosted its first workshop on deepening cooperation with the private sector towards SDG implementation in Nigeria.
- UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appointed 15 eminent scientists and experts to draft the Global Sustainable Development Report, including David Smith, Chair of the SDSN Caribbean, Coordinator of the University Consortium for Small Island States, and Coordinator of the Institute for Sustainable Development at the University of the West Indies Mona Campus in Jamaica.
- Dr. Daniel Wahl of Gaia Education recently published an article online entitled Taking the Systems View: climate change as a driver of SDG implementation. They also invite you to join a self-paced, online program on ”Designing for Sustainability: Introducing the Big Picture of Co-Creating a Thriving Future.” Read more and sign up!
- The Amazon Summer School published a final report on their 2016 sessions.
- The Stockholm Resilience Center posted a research fellow placement for The World in 2050 initiative (TWI2050). The deadline to apply is January 31.
- The Generation Yes campaign was initiated by ClimateWorks Australia and aims to showcase practical solutions to climate change.
- Future Earth announced an Executive Director vacancy with a closing date for applications of February 3.