Welcome to SDSN’s November 2016 Newsletter!
Solutions at the Heart of COP22
The first Low-Emissions Solutions Conference was launched on November 14-16 at COP22 in Marrakech, Morocco. The event successfully brought together over 100 speakers to present solutions for a decarbonized world.
Sustainable Cities Course is Launched!
The SDG Academy launched its 10th course, Sustainable Cities, this month. It is a massive open online course (MOOC) that brings together 27 global thought leaders in the field of urban sustainable development to discuss policy and practice around SDG 11. The course runs until February 27. Enroll today to be part of the global conversation!
New MOOC on Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Completes Filming
This course examines how to feed a growing world population without increasing harm to soils, vulnerable ecosystems, and the climate. The course includes faculty from the SDSN’s Thematic Network on sustainable agriculture and food systems, including Co-Chairs Achim Dobermann (Rothamsted Research) and Rebecca Nelson (Cornell), as well as Jessica Fanzo (Johns Hopkins), William Masters (Tufts), and Kenneth Giller (Wageningen).
December’s ‘Meet our Leaders’ with Dr. Maria Freire
Join Dr. Maria Freire, President and Executive Director of the Foundation for National Institutes of Health, for our third ‘Meet our Leaders’ live webinar. In this live Q&A, viewers can ask Dr. Freire about topics pertaining to her professional journey in the fields of biomedicine and sustainable development. This event will take place on Wednesday, December 7, at 12:00pm EST. Join here with this password: Leaders2030. Submit questions beforehand at email@example.com.
Conference Report: Climate Change and Sustainable Investment in Natural Resources: From Consensus to Action. Columbia Center on Sustanable Investing – Nov 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Big innovations require big investment. Boston Globe – Nov 27, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Four nations map course to carbon-free economies. Phys.org – Nov 18, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: ‘US among six G20 countries yet to act in line with Paris pledges’. The Hindu – Nov 18, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Praise for the U.S. Youth Activists Suing the U.S. Government and Fossil Fuel Industry. Democracy Now – Nov 17, 2016
Pavel Kabat et al.: Impacts of climate change and water resources development on the declining inflow into Iran’s Urmia Lake, Journal of Great Lakes Research – November 9, 2016.
Jeffrey Sachs: Prosperity in sustainability. The Boston Globe – Nov 7, 2016
Cynthia Rosenzweig et al.: Towards a new generation of agricultural system data, models and knowledge products: Design and improvement, Agricultural Systems – November 3, 2016.
Upmanu Lall et al.: Can Electricity Pricing Save India’s Groundwater? Field Evidence from a Novel Policy Mechanism in Gujarat, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists – November 3, 2016.
Jeffrey Sachs: Investment for Sustainable Growth. Project Syndicate – Oct 31, 2016
Celia J. Gomez and Hirokazu Yoshikawa: Earthquake effects: Estimating the relationship between exposure to the 2010 Chilean earthquake and preschool children’s early cognitive and executive function skills, Early Childhood Research Quarterly – October 28, 2016.
Upmanu Lall, Cynthia Rosenzweig et al.: Extreme Weather and Climate: Workshop Report, J Extreme Events – October 25. 2016.
Pavel Kabat et al.: Labor market and migration across the Eurasian continent, Workshop Report – October 2016.
Pavel Kabat et al.: Trade policy regimes, Workshop Report – October 2016.
Paul Collier: Afrika kann sich nur selbst retten – An Interview with Paul Collier (in German), Die Zeit – October 23, 2016.
José Miguel Insulza: José Miguel Insulza renunciará como agente de La Haya para asumir carrera presidencial (in Spanish), ATB Digital – November 22, 2016.
Upcoming SDSN Events
World AIDS Day
Human Rights Day
SDG Index in Spanish launch in Madrid
The event is organized by SDSN and the Spanish network in collaboration with Fundación Telefónica
Other News and Events
- Watch the live recording of the New York Society for Ethical Culture event “Ethics in Action: The UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals” with Prof. Jeffrey Sachs and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
- Peter Head, a member of the TG Sustainable Cities: Inclusive, Resilient, and Connected, has been awarded the 2016 Lorenzo H. Zambrano Lifetime Achievement Award for his pioneering vision and remarkable efforts and achievements in sustainable urban development.
- The Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research is conducting an online survey on “Social tipping points instrumental for decarbonization by 2050.” Respondents will be entered into a raffle for a book and may be invited to an expert workshop this fall in Stockholm.
- The IUCN, in partnership with The German Development Cooperation GIZ, have launched Panorama, an online platform for sharing and applying environmental solutions across the globe.
- SDSN member Gaia Education would like to invite you to begin your climate learning journey with them. Their self-paced online program “Designing for Sustainability: Introducing the Big Picture of Co-Creating a Thriving Future” is now open for registration.
- The SDSN’s publication, Mapping Mining to the Sustainable Development Goals: An Atlas, is now available in French and Spanish.
- The Universidad de los Andes School of Management will host the 23rd Annual International Sustainable Development Research Society Conference (ISDRS 2017) on June 14-16, 2017, in Bogotá, Colombia. The call for abstracts remains open until December 31.
- Sign up for the SDSN Youth Newsletter!