Welcome to SDSN’s May 2016 Newsletter!
The Bertelsmann Stiftung, one of the largest foundations in Germany, and the SDSN will jointly produce an SDG Index and Dashboard to assist countries in operationalizing the SDGs using data available today. A first edition will be launched before the July 2016 High-Level Political Forum.
Cities, business, academics and government will come together to scale up solutions for climate action at COP22 in Marrakesh, Morocco, and accelerate the implementation of the historic Paris Agreement. The Government of Morocco will host the conference in partnership with SDSN, World Business Council for Sustainable Development and ICLEI.
On May 25, SDSN Spain celebrated the first anniversary of the encyclical “Laudato Si’: On the Care of Our Common Home,” with a public event in Madrid.
On May 23, SDSN held a side event at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul with our partners Action Contre La Faim and the Norwegian Refugee Council.
Working with urban development experts, SDSN is exploring how to make the Habitat III conference a success and how to implement SDG 11 on sustainable cities and human settlements.
Think tank leaders from G20 countries discussed how the upcoming G20 summits in China and Germany (2017) can support Agenda 2030 and the SDGs. SDSN Germany and other SDSN leaders presented on development finance, climate change, and policy coordination for the SDGs.
SDSN in the Media
Jane Lubchenco: Solutions for recovering and sustaining the bounty of the ocean: Combining fishery reforms, rights-based fisheries management, and marine reserves, ResearchGate – June 1, 2016
Adolf Kloke-Lesch: A European Narrative? German Development Institute – May 25, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Islamic finance to bring balance to SDG financing: Sachs, Jakarta Post – May 17, 2016
Marcelo Sánchez Sorondo: Pursuit of integral ecology, Science – May 13, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: The age of impunity, The Boston Globe – May 13, 2016
Frannie Léautier: Can using geographical factors leverage private equity to deliver sustainable development results? Taylor & Francis Online – May 12, 2016
Paul Collier: The Institutional and Psychological Foundations of Natural Resource Policies, The Journal of Development Studies – May 11, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Plans for coal-fired power in Asia are ‘disaster for planet’ warns World Bank, The Guardian – May 5, 2016
Lan Xue: Local implementation for green-manufacturing technology diffusion policy in China: from the user firms’ perspectives, Journal of Cleaner Production – May 4, 2016
Hirokazu Yoshikawa: Mixed Methods in the Science of Understanding Antipoverty Policies for Families with Children: Four Case Studies, Methods That Matter – May 2, 2016
Martin Visbek: Indicators for Monitoring Sustainable Development Goals: An Application to Oceanic Development in the European Union, Wiley – Apr 30, 2016
Upcoming SDSN Events
SDSN Leadership Council Meeting
30 & 31 May, Brussels
Debriefing on the SDG Baltimore Initiative: Progress to Date
4 June, Baltimore
Regional Workshop on SDG 4
7 June, Kigali
Global Sustainable Development Report
Date TBD, New York
Other News and Events
- We are proud to share that Professor Lan Xue, SDSN Leadership Council Co-Chair, has been appointed as a new member of the governing United Nations University Council.
- On April 16, SDSN Japan organized a special symposium on “Mainstreaming Sustainable Development: Toward 2016 Summit and Beyond” at the UN University Headquarters in Tokyo.
- On May 14-15, SDSN and Jeffrey Cheah Foundation teams discussed how to promote the SDGs in the South East Asia region through research, policy analysis, and teaching at Sunway University.
- As part of a NCEAS Science for People And Nature working group ‘Making Ecosystem Services Count in the SDGs’, Sylvia Wood, SDSN Member and Postdoctoral Fellow at Columbia University, is carrying out a short, anonymous survey of people with knowledge and/or expertise in ecosystem services to map out linkages to the SDGs and specific ecosystem services.
- The SDSN’s Baltimore Sustainable Cities Initiative Working Group discussed the operationalization of the SDGs and associated community engagement efforts on May 24.
- Financing Urban Development event was held on May 27, organized by IEFE – Bocconi University, the SDSN Urban Thematic Network and the European Commission.
On May 19, Paul Polman, SDSN Leadership Council Member, was interviewed for Leadership in the promotion of peace: Interviews with the 2015 Business for Peace honorees.
- Justin Yifu Lin, SDSN Leadership Council Member and Professor at the National School of Development at Peking University, delivered the Barcelona GSE Lecture at Banc Sabadell on Will China Continue to be a Growth Engine in the World?
- On April 28, James Hansen, SDSN Leadership Council Member, wrote an open letter to Warren Buffet asking him to follow through on his commitments to fight climate change.
- If nature had a personality, what would it be like? See how our own Leadership Council Member Robbert Dijkgraaf answers this question in a video interview with Nautilus.
- On May 16, the GIZ/SDSN Brazil joint Solutions Initiative, “Sustainable Cities: Towards Local SDG Implementation in a Metropolitan Context”, held a workshop in Brasília exploring the adoption and implementation of the urban SDGs, in particular SDG 11, at the metropolitan scale in Brazil.
- SDSN is working with the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, the UNDP, and the World Bank on how the extractive resources sector can support the SDGs, particularly around data, monitoring, and evaluation.
- SDSN Manager Melika Edquist wrote a Case Study of Colombia: Data driving action on the SDGs.
- Liz Moyer wrote a blog piece about The Art of Healing while on mission in Rwanda.
- Nature Geoscience is currently advertising for the position of Chief Editor, Nature Sustainability (to be launched in January 2018).