Welcome to SDSN’s April 2016 Newsletter!
On April 22nd, Earth Day, 175 countries signed and 15 countries ratified the Paris Agreement in New York. While there is still much to do before the Agreement can be enacted, this event highlighted the unity of the global community which is forging ahead and aims to reach the double bottom line threshold of having 55 countries, representing 55% of global emissions ratify the agreement.
The Jeffrey Cheah Foundation and SDSN are pleased to announced a strategic collaboration on sustainable development as the United Nations enters the first year of implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Jeffrey Cheah Foundation’s $10 million gift is its largest financial commitment to date. The gift aims to support education around the SDGs and implementation efforts.
On April 26th, the SDSN Great Lakes held a conference in Kigali, Rwanda, on “Regional Solutions to Achieve the SDGs.” The conference brought together 75 participants from the region to discuss approaches to SDG localization and implementation. It was also the occasion to announce the winner of the regional Solutions Initiative, a Burundian initiative that produces organic fertilizer from plant and animal waste.
The University of Siena hosted a meeting of all consortium members of the Plastic Busters project on April 14th and 15th. The project aims to fight marine litter in the Mediterranean. Internal coordination and communication, as well as possible fundraising strategies were discussed and presented to representatives of both the Italian government and the European Commission.
On April 22nd and 23rd, SDSN hosted a gathering of some of the UN Secretary General’s SDG Advocates and their Special Advisers at Columbia University. The SDG Advocates have a pivotal role to play, broadening awareness of the SDGs and sustaining momentum around implementation.
EdCast, in partnership with SDSNedu, the flagship education initiative of the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, announced the launch of the Global Educator Teach-A-Thon at the ASU-GSV Education Innovation Summit in April. The new annual competitions showcases the impact and power of social learning technology.
SDSN in the Media
Jeffrey Sachs: New Politics for Clean Energy, Project Syndicate – Apr 27, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: Long-Term Costs of Cutting Emissions Grow Hazy, Wall Street Journal – Apr 25, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: How the Definition of Development Aid is Being Eroded, Inter Press Service – Apr 21, 2016
Sam Siamak Loni: Leaders Sign a Climate Deal Filled With Question Marks, New York Times – Apr 21, 2016
Allen, F., Behrman, J.R., Birdsall, N., Fardoust, S., Rodrik, D., Steer, A., Subramanian, A.: Towards a Better Global Economy: Policy Implications for Citizens Worldwide in the 21st Century – Apr 19, 2016
Upmanu Lall: America’s water crisis is way bigger than Flint, Market Watch – Apr 12, 2016
Paul Walsh: The Implications of the UN 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda for the OECD, OECD Insights – Apr 12, 2016
Shadkam, S., Ludwig, F., van Vliet, M.T.H., Pastor, A., & Kabat, P: Preserving the world second largest hypersaline lake under future irrigation and climate change, Science of the Total Environment – Apr 9, 2016
Upcoming SDSN Events
May 11-13 | Kigali
Berlin T20 Conference
May 12-13 | Berlin
World Humanitarian Summit (WHS)
May 23-24 | Istanbul
SDSN side event at WHS
May 23 | Istanbul
SDSN Leadership Council
May 30-31 | Brussels
Other News and Events
- SDSN is proud to join the management board of Cities Alliance; a global urban consortium which aims to improve the conditions of cities and human settlements worldwide. SDSN will represent the universities, research centers and knowledge networks constituency. The former UK MP and Secretary for Int. Development Claire Short will be the chair of the management board and Mayor Khalifa Sall will be the Chair of the CA Assembly.
- The Global Partnership on Sustainable Development Data held a meeting in Bogota, Colombia to support the Government’s efforts to monitor the SDGs.
- The SDSN contributed to the UN University conference on Strengthening the UN’s Research Uptake in Geneva on April 25th and 26th.
The Regional Environment Center (Hungary) held a regional consultation on the Implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in Central & Eastern Europe on April 11th-12th.
- The SDG’s and their Indicators- On April 20th the Association for Sustainability and Social Progress (ASYPS) and the Spanish Chapter of the Club of Rome, continued their series of forums on Sustainability and Social Progress.
- SDSN Leadership Council Member Christiana Figueres hosted a Ted Talk on “The Inside Story of the Paris Agreement”.
- SDSN Leadership Council Member Paul Polman participated in a panel on “Forced Displacement: A Global Development Challenge”.
- On April 15 the German DDPP team published a blog in support of the national “Climate Action Plan 2050”.
- In this video, Leadership Council Chair Laurence Tubiana discusses COP21 and the beginning of a collective reflection on climate change (in French).
- SDSN Leadership Council Member Jane Lubchenco received the Linus Pauling Legacy Award.
- Guido Schmidt-Traub delivered a keynote address at the workshop “Disruptive Structural Change” organized by the German Development Institute on April 27th.
- Jessica Espey spoke about Localizing the SDGs and “How Cities Can Help Achieve the 2030 Agenda” at the Wilson Centre in Washington D.C.
- Have you ever heard of the ‘Edge Effect’? Gaia Education, SDSN member and key Partner of the UNESCO Global Action Programme produced this video explaining the concept and how is applies around the world.
- Reminder: The 4th Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development, to be held on September 21 and 22, 2016, in New York, USA! For complete details visit the conference website, www.ic-sd.org.