Welcome to the January 2016 edition of the SDSN Newsletter.
SDSN in the Media
Executive Mansion- President Sirleaf Launches National Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development;Calls on All Liberians to Engage in a National Dialogue – Jan 26, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: The Global Economy’s Marshmallow Test, Project Syndicate – Jan 26, 2016
Enrico Giovannini (SDSN TN co-chair) and Giuseppe Novelli: Making Universities a Key Player to Achieve Sustainable Development, SDSN Blog – Jan 26, 2016
Jeffrey Sachs: China at the Economic Crossroads, The Boston Globe – Jan 11, 2016
SDSN Mediterranean Assembly
February 16 | Rome, Italy
SDSN Northern Europe Launch Event
February 25 – 26 | Gothenburg, Sweden
8th Leadership Council Meeting announced, hosted by the European Commission
May 30 – 31 | Brussels, Belgium
Other News and Events
- On January 13th, the SDSN Sahel focal point in Burkina Faso, Prof. Alpha Oumar Dissa, was named the new Minister of Energy, Mines, and Quarries.
- On December 29th, SDSN Sahel held a workshop in Bamako, Mali, at the invitation of the government. Bringing together thirty institutions from government, international organizations, civil society, and academia, the goal was to share information on the 2030 Agenda and on localizing the SDGs. Thanks to this meeting, the government has requested continued support from the Sahel SDSN on SDG implementation and on long-term strategies for sustainable development for Mali.
- Applications have opened for Amazon Summer School, a three week immersion course to be held in the heart of the Amazon forest July 12-August 1, 2016. Hosted by the Amazonas Sustainable Foundation (FAS) and SDSN Amazonia, this program aims to create and prototype solutions for a local challenge and inspire global change.
- At the closing ceremony of the 3rd Global Youth Meet (GYM) in Visakhapatnam, India, the GYM Declaration: A Resolve to Guard Our Globe was endorsed by all participants.
- On February 2nd, two of SDSN’s Data Thematic Network Members Enrico Giovannini (co-chair) and Marc Levy are participating in a join webinar hosted by The Integrated Assessment Society and International Institute for Sustainable Development: “Beyond SDG Indicators Part 1: Exploring the Role of Integrated Assessment in Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals”
- Eve de la Mothe Karoubi, from the SDSN Secretariat, presented at the “Expert meeting on measuring SDG 16 targets on peace, inclusion and freedoms”, hosted by UNDP and the Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), in Oslo on 28-29 January.
- Special Announcement: Two New SDSN Positions Open in Paris- Short term Administrative Assistant & Communications Associate