SDSNedu Courses Launching in September
SDSNedu, SDSN’s massive open online education initiative, is pleased to announce the launch of three courses in September 2015: The Age of Sustainable Development, Planetary Boundaries & Human Opportunities, and Climate Change Science & Negotiations; and a new “mini-series” course on Laudato Si’: On Care of Our Common Home. register today»
SDSN September NY Events
SDSN and its partners are hosting a series of exciting events in New York, in and around the UN General Assembly (UNGA 70) and the Summit for the Adoption of the Post-2015 Development Agenda. Scroll to the Upcoming Events section for a full list of events with links to descriptions and RSVP details. read more »
SDSN Youth SDGs Video Campaign
SDSN Youth has launched a video campaign in support of its #KnowYourGoals initiative, inviting youth around the world to voice why the SDGs are meaningful. Submit your video here.
SDSN Nigeria at Co-hosts Sustainable Development Summit
On August 23-28, the 6th Annual Ibadan Sustainable Development Summit (ISDS) was held from in Ibadan, Nigeria with the theme “The Post-2015 Sustainable Development Agenda: Whither Africa?” and hosted by the University of Ibadan Centre for Sustainable Development (CESDEV) in collaboration with SDSN Nigeria and the African Sustainable Development Network (ASUDNET). read more »
Laudato si’ Presented in the Amazon Region
Pope Francis’ Encyclical Letter Laudato si’ was presented at two recent events in the Amazon, engaging academia, civil society, government, religious leaders, and indigenous communities. Monsignor Marcelo Sánchez Sorondo, Chancellor of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences and of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, presented the pontiff’s message on sustainable development. read more »
SDSN Philippines Launched in Manila
On August 3, over 300 participants from the universities, civil society, business, government, and the international community welcomed the new network which uniquely places universities and other research and knowledge institutions to contribute to the attainment of the SDGs. The network will be hosted by the University of the Philippines Diliman. read more »
SDSN Japan Launched in Yokohama
On July 28, SDSN Japan was launched at the 7th International Forum for Sustainable Asia and the Pacific (ISAP) to convene academe, business, government, and civil society towards realizing the SDGs in Japan. The network will be hosted by the United Nations University and IGES. read more »
SDSN in the Media
The Weight of the World: Can Christiana Figueres persuade humanity to save itself? – The New Yorker, August 24
Jeffrey Sachs: The UN at 70 – Project Syndicate, August 21
Shoot Pictures, Not Endangered Species. Kenya’s First Photographic Safari – Big Think, August 20
With Millennium Development Goals, world learns that setting targets works – Christian Science Monitor, August 12
The Professor, the General, and the World’s Fishiest Business – Foreign Policy, August 5
Communicate with Clarity & Leave No One Behind: How the UN Is Scaling Sustainability in a Post-2015 World, Part 1 and Part 2 – Huffington Post, August
Anthony Annet: How Laudato Si’ Extends Catholic Social Teaching – Commonweal, July 7
Upcoming SDSN Events
- September 16 – Women’s Situation Room and Sustainable Democracy | Genève, Switzerland | Event Flyer
- September 17 – Shared Values for Sustainable Development | New York, USA
- September 22 – Youth for Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) | New York, USA | Register
- September 23-24 – 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD) | New York, USA | Register
- September 23 – Climate Music Evening: 2°C is the Limit – Music for a Sustainable Planet | New York, USA | Purchase tickets
- September 23 – Integrating Humanitarian Work into the SDG Agenda | New York, USA
- September 24 – Seventh SDSN Leadership Council Meeting | New York, USA
- September 24 – Cities Committing to the SDGs: A High-Level Mayors Event | New York, USA | Register
- September 25 – Achieving Sustainable Nutrition Security for All | New York, USA
- September 26 – The SDGs and Mining: Challenges and Opportunities | New York, USA
- September 25-27 – UN Summit to adopt the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) | New York, USA
- September 28 – Launch of the New Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data | New York, USA
- September 28 – UrbanSDG Campaign High-Level Plenary and Workshop | New York, USA
News from Our Partners
- The UN has finalized the iconography for the 17 SDGs. A PDF and PowerPoint of the logos are available for download and use.
- On August 27, SDSN Mediterranean, through the University of Siena and Visionaria, presented a “Food & Water: International Short Film Festival on Sustainability” at the Universal Exhibition in Milan. Also, SDSN Mediterranean has recently released a newly redesigned website andintroductory video.
- SDSN Brazil has launched a new website that showcases the network’s mission and objectives, solutions initiatives, and member institutions. SDSN Brazil was established in 2014 and focuses on the implementation of the urban sustainable development in Rio de Janeiro, with plans to expand its works to other major Brazilian cities. Learn more about the network and how you can join here.
- On August 19-21, the Pan-American Health Organization (PAHO) and Fundação Oswaldo Cruz (Fiocruz) hosted a meeting on Health in All Policies and the Sustainable Development Goals in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Lauren Barredo, Manager, participated on behalf of the SDSN. Read more.
- On July 30-August 6, Center for international Relations and Sustainable Development (CIRSD) organized an Advanced Course on International Relations “Geopolitics in the Emerging Multipolar Era.” Guido Schmidt-Traub, SDSN Executive Director, delivered a lecture on the linkages among between climate change, economic conditions, and armed conflict.
- On July 29, Jeffrey Sachs, SDSN Director, gave a lecture on “The World Economy and Sustainable Development” at the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan. Watch here.
- UN ECOSOC has recently published the summary of their 2015 e-discussion on “Managing the transition from the Millennium Development Goals to the sustainable development goals: What it will take”. Paul Walsh, SDSN Senior Advisor, moderated the thematic forum on Monitoring and review. Read more.
- Jessica Espey, Guido Schmidt-Traub & Eve de la Mothe Karoubi have published a paper on “The Data Revolution for Sustainable Development” in a new e-book on Governance for Sustainable Development: Ideas for the Post-2015 Agenda by Felix Dodds. Download the entire book here (PDF).
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from the SDSN.