Register for the 3rd Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development
On September 23-24, the SDSN and the Global Master’s in Development Practice will host a conference on “Implementing the SDGs: Getting Started” at Columbia University in New York. The aim of the conference is to identify and share practical, evidence-based solutions that can support the SDGs, which will be agreed upon at the United Nations immediately following the conference. Check out the redesigned conference website and register today »
Mayors Gather at Vatican for a Special Symposium on Sustainable Development
On July 21-22, the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, in partnership with the SDSN, convened a 2-day high-level event at the Vatican in Rome, bringing together more than 60 mayors from the world’s major urban centers to showcase the modern challenges facing cities and to demonstrate the bold leadership of cities and local governments in implementing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). read more »
SDSN Side Events at Third International Conference on Financing for Development
On July 13-16, the SDSN co-hosted a number of side events at the Third International Conference on Financing for Development in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, including: Unlocking Public and Private Finance for African Infrastructure, in partnership with the New Partnership for Africa’s Development, Brookings, and African Development Bank; Climate Finance at the Service of Sustainable Development, in partnership with the Green Climate Fund; Harnessing the Data Revolution for Sustainable Development, in partnership with The ONE Campaign, UN Economic Commission for Africa, the Government of Mexico and the Government of the United States of America. read more »
Andean SDSN Launched in Quito, Ecuador
On June 29, the SDSN’s regional Network for the Andes was launched at the International Conference on Sustainable Development in Quito, Ecuador by Rafael Correa Delgado, President of the Republic of Ecuador and Jeffrey D. Sachs, Director of SDSN. The University of Investigación de Tecnología Experimental (Yachay Tech) will host the Andean Network. read more »
SDSN Great Lakes Holds Conference on Preparing for the SDGs
On July 17, the SDSN Great Lakes held a conference in Kigali, Rwanda, on “Preparing for the Implementation of the SDGs.” This inception conference brought together 75 stakeholders from academia, research, civil society, international organizations, and government to share information about how Rwanda plans to implement the SDGs. SDSN Great Lakes also launched their first call for proposals for Solutions Initiatives. read more »
SDSN Youth Launches #KnowYourGoals Campaign
The SDSN-Y has launched the #KnowYourGoals global campaign to increase awareness of the SDG agenda amongst youth, and to encourage youth to support the implementation and localization of the SDG. As part of this campaign, education events will be hosted this fall. read more »
SDSN in the Media
Aniket Shah: The urban community can save Financing for Development – Citiscope, July 24
World mayors warn of threats to mankind, commit to U.N. development goals – Reuters, July 22
Mayors endorse UN sustainability goals at Vatican – AP, July 22
Jessica Espey interview at the Special Symposium on Sustainable Development at the Vatican (video) – EWTN News Nightly, July 22
Mayors, at Vatican, Pledge Efforts Against Climate Change – New York Times, July 21
Africa must invest in infrastructure – SouthAfrica.info, July 15
- August 3 – Launch of Philippines SDSN | Manila, Philippines
- September 17 – Religion & Sustainable Development | New York, USA
- September 23-24 – 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD) | New York, USA | Register
- September 24 – Seventh SDSN Leadership Council Meeting | New York, USA
- September 24 – Cities Committing to the SDGs: A High-Level Mayors Event convened by Mayor de Blasio | New York, USA
- September 26 – The SDGs and Mining: Challenges and Opportunities | New York, USA
- September 26 – ICT for Development (co-hosted with Ericsson) | New York, USA
- September 25-27 – UN Summit to adopt the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) | New York, USA
- September 28 – Launch of the New Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data | New York, USA
- September 28 – UrbanSDG Campaign High-Level Plenary and Workshop | New York, USA
- September 29 – Sustainable Finance for Deep Decarbonization | New York, USA
- September 29 – Accountability and Monitoring of the SDGs in OECD Countries | New York, USA
News from Our Partners
- The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), the UN Global Compact, and the Global Reporting Initiative are developing a business monitoring framework for the SDGs entitled SDG Compass. The draft is available for public consultation until July 31 at www.sdgcompass.org.
- From July 22-24, the Senegalese Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development hosted the first Senegal National Conference on Sustainable Development in Dakar with the theme of “Sustainable Cities and Territories.” SDSN Sahel Chair Dr. Bouna Niang served as the rapporteur for the conference and SDSN Director Jeffrey Sachs joined by video conference for the concluding session with President Macky Sall. Read more.
- Oh July 21, the SDSN co-hosted a panel at the UN entitled “The role of civil society in socializing and implementing the Post-2015 Sustainable Development Agenda” with Global Foundation for Democracy and Development (FUNGLODE), the UN Association of the Dominican Republic, and the School of Diplomacy and International Relations at Seton Hall University.
- On July 6-7, the United Nations Millennium Campaign (UNMC) and the Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA) co-hosted the Nigerian National Conference on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Abuja with the theme of “Governance Beyond 2015: Setting an Agenda for inclusive and sustainable development in an era of change.” SDSN Nigeria Director Ikenna Onyido chaired a session on “Nigeria and the Sustainability Agenda: What needs to be done?”
- On July 6, SDSN Youth hosted a workshop for youth leaders at the Columbia Global Centers | East Asian in Beijing, China, on “Engaging Chinese Youth in the Sustainable Development Goals.”
- The SDSN participated in several sessions and side events throughout the Third UN High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development from June 26-July 10 in New York.
- On June 29-30, the IASS together with SDSN Germany and SDSN Spain hosted a dialogue in Brussels on “Europe and the Post-2015 Development Agenda: Shaping Effective Follow-up, Review and Accountability Mechanisms.” Read more.
- On June 5, the SDSN Australia/Pacific hosted an interactive workshop at the 5th ACFID University Network Conference on “The SDGs: Integrating equality and sustainability into food, water and energy for all.” Read more.
- Bertelsmann Stiftung has released Sustainable Governance Indicators 2015, which includes new Sustainable Governance data for 140 quantitative and qualitative indicators across all 41 OECD and EU countries.
- The German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) has recently launched a Briefing Paper series on “Financing global development”. In the context of the recent Third International Conference on Financing for Development, seven short and policy-oriented papers have already been published. Read more.
- As part of the SDSN’s Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project, ClimateWorks and the Australian National University (ANU) have created an interactive online guide on Pathways to a Low Carbon Future for Australia. Read more.
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from the SDSN.