SDSN Convenes Sixth Leadership Council Meeting
On June 4-5, 2015, the SDSN Leadership Council convened in Paris for its sixth meeting to review SDSN priorities and how SDSN can support successful outcomes and implementation of post-2015 processes: the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Financing for Development, and Climate Change. Fatih Birol, Chief Economist and upcoming Executive Director of the International Energy Agency; Ambassador David Donoghue and Ambassador Macharia Kamau, Co-Facilitators of the UN Post-2015 Process; and Erik Solheim, Chair of the OECD Development Assistance Committee, joined the discussions. read more »
Spanish SDSN Hosts Workshop on Localizing SDGs
On June 1-2, 2015, the Spanish SDSN (REDS: Red Española para el Desarrollo Sostenible) held an inception workshop to kick off the debate on the implication of the SDGs for Spain. This high-level event focused on three SDGs especially relevant for Spain: Energy, Gender and Biodiversity. read more »
New Finance for Sustainable Development Briefs Released
The SDSN has published several Issue Briefs that summarize key elements of the recently released SDSN Working Paper Financing Sustainable Development, which presents a seven-part framework for developing effective goal-based partnerships for the SDGs. read more »
SDSN & Mistra Urban Futures Host Urban Community in Gothenburg
On June 8-10, 2015, the SDSN co-hosted a meeting with Mistra Urban Futures in Gothenburg, Sweden, with numerous members of the UrbanSDG Campaign in attendance. The meeting focused on next steps of the urban community in support of SDGs implementation and how best to mobilize efforts towards Habitat III. read more »
New Project on Mining and the SDGs Launched
SDSN’s Thematic Group on Good Governance of Extractive and Land Resources has launched a new project, “Mining and the Sustainable Development Goals.” Implemented in collaboration with the World Economic Forum (WEF), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI), the project will map out the implications of the SDGs for the mining industry. read more »
Global Youth Initiative for Post-2015 Launched
On June 4, 2015, the SDSN launched its global youth initiative, SDSN Youth (SDSN-Y). Driven and led by youth leaders from around the world, SDSN-Y will engage youth in the education and implementation of the SDGs. Youth organizations supporting sustainable solutions are encouraged to join the network. read more »
SDSN Hosts Training Program for Network Managers
On June 1-3, 2015, the SDSN hosted a professional training program for the managers of seven National and Regional SDSNs and four members of SDSN Youth at the Columbia Global Center in Paris. This program is the result of SDSN’s collaboration with GIZ to bolster Network activities. read more »
Global MDP Hosts Seventh Annual Summit
On June 7-10, 2015, the Global Association of MDP Programs (MDP) hosted the MDP Program Directors, students and alumni from all around the world at the Seventh Annual Summit at Sciences Po in Paris, France. read more »
SDSN in the Media
Johan Rockström: The Climate Pope – Project Syndicate, June 19
Anthony Annett: Ten Quick Takeaways from Laudato Si’ – Commonweal, June 18
Implementing the Urban Sustainable Development Goal in Atlanta and Delhi – UGEC Viewpoints, June 18
Chandrika Bahadur and Guido Schmidt-Traub: Why the World Needs a Global Fund for Education – NORRAG NEWSBite, June 16
Jeffrey Sachs and Sonia Sachs: A Call to Scale-Up Community Health Workers – The Huffington Post, June 15
Peter Eigen: How organized civil society can aid corruption fight – Devex, June 15
Jeffrey Sachs: The G-7 Embraces Decarbonization – Project Syndicate, June 10
Upcoming SDSN Events
- June 30-July 1 – Andean SDSN Launch Event | Galápagos Islands, Ecuador
- July 7-10 – Our Common Future under Climate Change | Paris, France
- July 13-16 – Side Events at International Conference on Financing for Development | Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- African Infrastructure Financing
- Global Health Financing
- Financing Global Data Partnership
- July 22 – Mayors and Local Governments: Implementing the SDG Agenda, hosted in partnership with the Pontifical Academy of Sciences | Rome, Italy
- September 23-24 – 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD) | New York, USA | Register now
- September 24 – Seventh SDSN Leadership Council Meeting | New York, USA
News from Our Partners
- The upcoming June 26-July 8 High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) meeting will include SD-Learning 2015, a capacity training event for attendants. The SDSN will host two SD-Learning 2015 courses: “Economics of sustainable development through the practicality of partnerships” and “Getting started with the SDGs: Charting a course for implementations.” Read more.
- The EAT Initiative hosted its Second Annual Stockholm Food Forum on June 1-2, 2015, which convened representatives from a global community of stakeholders in food, health, and sustainability. Emerging from this Forum was a commitment by the SDSN and EAT to collaborate on the development of a global food systems database and a thematic report on the state of global food systems. The forum included presentations from Jeffrey Sachs (watch), SDSN Director, and Johan Rockström (watch), Executive Director of the Stockholm Resilience Centre, Chair of the EAT Advisory Board, and SDSN Leadership Council Member. Read more.
- The Sahel SDSN Chair Bouna Niang and local manager Fatoumata Dembele are participating in a tour around the five key regions in Senegal, organized by the Senegalese Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development. The purpose of this tour is to sensitize officials and communities at local level about the SDGs, and coordinate a broad range of inputs on local priorities for sustainable development in preparation of the 1st National Conference on Sustainable Development in July 2015.
- Jeffrey Sachs has been awarded the 2015 Blue Planet Prize, which is presented each year to two individuals or organizations worldwide to recognize major efforts to solve global environmental problems. Read more.
- Hans Vestberg, Ericsson President & CEO and SDSN Leadership Council member, has been named as a new member of the United Nations Foundation Board of Directors. Read more.
- On June 16, 2015, Peter Eigen delivered a Kapuscinski Development Lecture entitled “How to bring transparency to global governance?” at the University in Sofia, Bulgaria. Watch the full lecture here.
- On June 3, 2015, Jeffrey Sachs spoke on “How to finance, implement and monitor the SDGs?” during the OECD Forum 2015 in Paris.
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from the SDSN.