SDSN Final Indicators Report Released
On May 20, the SDSN submitted its final report on Indicators and a Monitoring Framework for the Sustainable Development Goals to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon in Seoul, Korea. This report is the result of over 18 months of consultations led by the SDSN with the contributions of nearly 500 organizations and thousands of individuals – draft versions of the report have so far been downloaded over 80,000 times. The report has been provided to members of the new Inter-Agency and Expert Group on SDG Indicators who met for the first time on June 1-2, 2015. read more »
Seoul Financing for Sustainable Development Forum
On May 18, 2015, the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) and the SDSN co-hosted the Seoul Financing for Sustainable Development Forum. This Forum convened over two hundred policy makers, business leaders, academics and civil society representatives to discuss practical initiatives for the Financing for Development to be held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in July. read more »
Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project Consortium Meeting
On May 27-28, the Institute of Sustainable Development and International Relations (IDDRI) and the SDSN organized a DDPP Consortium Meeting in Paris, which brought together 16 country teams to discuss results of their 2015 analysis, the upcoming Global synthesis report to be released in October, and the next phase of DDPP. read more »
Bonn Conference for Global Transformation
On May 12-13, the Bonn Conference for Global Transformation was organized by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and the German federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia in cooperation with the SDSN and the Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS). This new bi-annual conference brought together leaders in policy, business, research and academia, and civil society to discuss post-2015 implementation. read more »
Australian Workshop on SDGs Implementation
On May 6-7, SDSN Australia/Pacific brought together representatives from federal, state and local governments, academia, business and civil society to develop Australia’s response to the SDGs. This event followed another network workshop in February, organized jointly with the UN Global Compact Network Australia, to build Australian business engagement in the SDGs. read more »
UN Side Event on SDGs Follow-up and Review
On May 18, 2015 the SDSN, the Overseas Development Institute (ODI), and the Missions of Mexico, and the United Kingdom to the UN co-hosted a side event on “The Follow-up and Review of the SDGs” as a part of the UN’s fifth round of Post-2015 Intergovernmental Negotiations. read more »
SDSN in the Media
Jeffrey D. Sachs, Guido Schmidt-Traub, and Aniket Shah: Six Financing Priorities for Addis – UN FFD3 Blog, May 20
Jeffrey Sachs: Data for Development – Project Syndicate, May 6
UN adviser stresses 2015 critical to setting world on safer, more prosperous path – UN News Centre, May 4
Johan Rockström and Kate Raworth: Planetary Boundaries and Human Prosperity – Project Syndicate, April 28
Paul Polman: Global Businesses & Climate Change: Don’t Get Left Behind – The Huffington Post, April 29
Upcoming SDSN Events
- June 4 – SDSN Youth Launch Event (RSVP) | Paris, France
- June 4-5 – Sixth SDSN Leadership Council Meeting | Paris, France
- June 8-10 – Gothenburg #UrbanSDG Campaign Consultation | Gothenburg, Sweden
- June 30-July 1 – Andean SDSN Launch Event | Galápagos Islands, Ecuador
News from Our Partners
- In Senegal, the SDSN Sahel network has been advising the Scientific Committee of the National Conference on Sustainable Development. This technical expertise prompted the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development to appoint the network to chair a working group on the SDGs for the conference, which will convene in June.
- The SDSN is very pleased to announce the appointment of Jessica Espey as Associate Director of the SDSN and head of the New York office. Jessica joined the SDSN in 2014 and has been playing a central role in the SDSN’s work on the post-2015 development framework, including monitoring and accountability.
- As part of an SDSN Australia/Pacific Initiative, the Pacific Institute for Climate Policy and RMIT University are calling on Pacific Islanders everywhere to have a say on their development priorities and the new global sustainable development agenda through an online survey.
- On July 6-7, The University of Vermont (Institute for Environmental Diplomacy and Security and the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources), in partnership with the University of Queensland, Australia, will host a workshop on Reframing the Arctic: Cooperation, Not Conflict Workshop in Burlington, Vermont.
- On May 25, 2015, the UNESCO-MGIEP YESPeace (Youth for Education, Sustainability and Peace) Network Workshop was held in partnership with University of Malaya and SDSN Malaysia.
- On May 13, 2015, Jessica Espey, SDSN Associate Director, presented at the Canadian International Cooperation Days organized by the Canadian Council for International Cooperation and The Canadian Association of International Development Professionals (CAIDP) on how the SDG agenda tackles gender equality. Jessica subsequently presented on the Data Revolution and how innovations in data collection and compilation can help us to fill gaps in available SDG indicators.
- On May 11, 2015, Guido Schmidt-Traub, SDSN Executive Director, presented at a meeting organized by the Friends of the Global Fund and the German Ministry of the Economy on the role of new financing instruments in the upcoming Financing for Development Conference in Addis.
- On April 30, Jeffrey Sachs presented his newest book The Age of Sustainable Development at the UN (video). The discussion was introduced by Ambassador David Donoghue, Permanent Mission of Ireland to the UN, and was moderated by Maher Nasser, Director, Outreach Division at the UN Department of Public Information.
- On April 16, 2015, Dr. Eduarda La Rocque, President of Pereira Passos Institute (IPP) of Rio de Janeiro, one of the four host institutions of the Brazil SDSN, presented at the 2015 Skoll World Forum on Rio’s Pact (Pacto do Rio), a network of public, private, academic, non-governmental and community groups working towards sustainable development of the city. Read more.
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from the SDSN.