Launch of new SDSN Project: The World in 2050
The SDSN, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), Stockholm Resilience Center, Earth Institute, and Alpbach-Laxenburg Group have launched a new initiative to develop long-term integrated pathways for achieving sustainable development and attaining the SDGs. read more »
Solutions for Agri-food Sustainability in the Mediterranean
The Second Conference of the SDSN Mediterranean Network was held on March 5-6 at the University of Siena, Italy. This year’s conference focused on agri-food sustainability in the region and was attended by researchers, policy makers, and private sector representatives. The conference also featured a session on youth engagement in the SDGs. read more »
SDSN Presents Monitoring & Accountability Work at UN
On March 2, 2015, SDSN hosted a side event workshop at the UN Statistical Commission entitled “Financial Needs Assessment for SDG Monitoring and Statistical Capacity Development.” The SDSN also presented its Indicators report at the UN Statistics Division (UNSD)’s Expert Group Meeting on SDGs indicators a week before. read more »
Call for Abstracts – 3rd Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development (ICSD)
The SDSN and the Global Association of Master’s in Development Practice Programs (MDP) will hold the 3rd ICSD on September 23 & 24, 2015, at Columbia University, New York. Interested presenters are invited to submit abstracts by May 16, 2015. The conference is also open to observers (i.e. non-presenters), and registration will open in early April. read more »
Launch of National Pathways for Sustainable Agricultural Intensification
The SDSN and Rothamsted Research are pleased to announce a new Solutions Initiative, National Pathways for Sustainable Agricultural Intensification, which will model pathways for national agricultural systems to meet SDG objectives on food security and sustainability. The methodology will be piloted by teams in China, the United Kingdom, and Uruguay, and then expanded to additional countries. read more »
SDSN partners with EAT and IPES-Food on Healthy and Sustainable Diets
On March 12-13, in Vienna, a new partnership of SDSN, EAT and the International Panel of Experts on Food Systems (IPES-Food) was launched to develop and advocate for an integrated set of indicators for heathy and sustainable diets within the SDGs. Johan Rockström will lead a high-level working group to review proposed indicators and identify improvements. Interim results will be presented at the 2nd annual EAT Stockholm Food Forum to be held on June 1-2, 2015.
Enroll Now in “Global Public Health”
Global Public Heath, SDSNedu’s latest course, launched this month and is led by Professor K. Srinath Reddy of the Public Health Foundation of India. The 10-week course provides an overview of basic tenets of public health and universal health coverage and will feature live video chat with Professor Reddy and several other health experts. enroll now »
On February 3, 2015, SDSN and Investec Asset Management (IAM) co-hosted the London Financing for Sustainable Development Forum. The conference report, speaker presentations, video highlights, and event photos are now available online. read more »
Brazil SDSN Strategic Workshop
From March 22-24, the Brazil SDSN convened prominent network stakeholders for a workshop to discuss overall strategy and the development of a Network work plan leading up to the Olympic Games, which will be hosted in Rio de Janeiro in 2016. read more »
Interview: Angelo Riccaboni
SDSN presents an interview with Professor Angelo Riccaboni, Rector of the University of Siena and Chair of SDSN Mediterranean, as the first in an interview series of Network Chairs. Prof Riccaboni discusses the value of a network for sustainable development problem solving, region-specific solutions initiatives, “science diplomacy,” and the way forward for the Mediterranean network.
SDSN in the Media
Sachs wants RI to take action on environment – The Jakarta Post, March 26
Marcia McNutt: Ignorance is not an option – Science, March 20
Jeffrey Sachs: Financing Education for All – Project Syndicate, March 19
Shahid Naeem: Bringing Scientific Rigor to ‘Ecosystem Services’ – The Conversation, March 16
Researchers Launch SDG Modelling Project – IISD, March 11
Mary Robinson, Christiana Figueres, and Amina Mohammed: Gender Equality and Earth’s Future – Project Syndicate, March 9
Jeffrey Sachs: ‘By separating nature from economics, we have walked blindly into tragedy’ – The Guardian, March 10
Zip-Line Through The Amazon Jungle With Google’s Newest Street View Feature – Huffington Post, March 2
Sultan Al Jaber discusses enhancing UAE-US relations – Emirates New Agency, February 28
Christiana Figueres: Climate Action in 2015: The Year of Transformational Change – Huffington Post, February 27
- April 24 – World Happiness Report Launch | New York, USA
- April 28 – Protect the Earth, Dignity, and Humanity: The Moral Dimensions of Climate Change and Sustainable Development | Vatican City
- May 12-13 – Bonn Conference for Global Transformation | Bonn, Germany
- May 18 – Asia Conference on SDSN Financing for Sustainable Development | Seoul, Korea
- May 18 – The Age of Sustainable Development Public Lecture | Seoul, Korea
- June 4-5 – Sixth SDSN Leadership Council Meeting | Paris, France
News from Our Partners
- SDSN Germany has issued a statement calling on the Federal Chancellor and her G7 counterparts to agree in June in Elmau on determined contributions to global sustainable development.
- The Secretariat of the Global Master’s in Development Practice (MDP) invites all interested academic institutions to join the Global Association of MDP programs. Resources and services will be available to all institutions and organizations that are committed to interdisciplinary, rigorous, and practice-based training in sustainable development. To learn more, please visit mdpglobal.org or contact Dr. Lucia Rodriguez.
- Jeffrey Sachs released a new book entitled “The Age of Sustainable Development” and gave several related public lectures in the last month at the following institutions: World Bank (watch), Columbia University (watch), University of Notre Dame – Kellogg Institute for International Studies (watch), Sunway University in Malaysia, and Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Indonesia.
- ClimateWorks Australia releases a report on Australia’s Energy Productivity Potential.
- Congratulations to Jane Lubchenco, who has been named as a 2015 Laureate for the Tyler Prize, the premier award for environmental science, environmental health and energy benefiting mankind.
- HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco, founder of The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation was presented with the 8th annual Peter Benchley Ocean Awards for Excellence in National Stewardship.
- The Ecological Sequestration Trust and SDSN released a report on “Smart ways to mobilize more efficient and effective long-term investment in city regions.” Download the report here(pdf).
- On March 24, Global Urban Development (GUD) and Unisinos published the final report of their project for the Rio Grande do Sul State Government in Brazil, entitled “21st Century Leapfrog Economic Strategy: Rio Grande do Sul Becomes the Most Sustainable and Innovative Place in Latin America by 2030” (pdf).
- The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) hosted aconference on “Next Generation Genomics and Integrated Breeding for Crop Improvement” in late February.
- Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM) and partners are organizing the international conference “Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security” on May 11 in Milan, Italy. Registration deadline is May 7.
- Evidence & Policy invites contributions to its special issue on “Advancing evidence-based sustainable development policies”; abstract deadline is April 1. Read more here.
- Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS) invites you to participate in their 3rd annual Global Soil Week, which will focus on the importance of land and soil in achieving the SDGs, to be held April 19-23.
- The Cyprus Institute will host the EWACC2015-Building Bridges Conference in Nicosia, Cyprus, on June 15-17, 2015. Learn more at ewacc.org.
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from the SDSN.