Revised Indicators Report Released
SDSN’s revised Indicators report takes into account the results of a 2-week global public consultation that garnered comments from nearly 300 organizations. The report was presented at the meeting of the Expert Group on SDG Indicators. read more »
London Financing for Sustainable Development Forum
On February 3, SDSN and Investec Asset Management co-hosted the London Financing for Sustainable Development Forum, bringing together over 150 leaders from financial services and policy-making. The conference is one in a series in the lead-up to the Third International Conference on Financing for Development in July 2015. read more »
SDSN Turkey’s Sustainable Cities Initiative
On February 16-18, SDSN Turkey Network, joined by Dr. Aromar Revi, held a series of events to discuss the role of cities as drivers of sustainable development. The Network is now developing a long-term initiative focusing on sustainable cities in Turkey. read more »
UN Event on Post-2015 & COP21 Connections
On February 10, SDSN co-hosted an event for UN missions entitled “The Post-2015 Agenda & a New Climate Agreement: Building Mutually Reinforcing Process” with the Permanent Missions of Sweden, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Vietnam, and Peru to the UN. read more »
E-discussion on Transitioning from MDGs to SDGs
SDSN is partnering with UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) and the UN Development Programme (UNDP) to moderate a global e-discussion on the 2015 Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) theme: “Managing the transition from the Millennium Development Goals to the Sustainable Development Goals: What it will take”, which will run until March 17. Join the discussion »
New Brief on Financing Universal Health Coverage
SDSN’s Thematic Group on Health for All recently released a new report, “Financing Universal Health Coverage in the Post-2015 Agenda.” The report estimates how much financing is needed to achieve UHC, potential sources of funding, and mechanisms to support an efficient and high-quality health system. read more »
The past month has been a particularly eventful one for SDSNedu, the online education initiative of the SDSN:
- Our newest course on “Global Public Health” – led by Professor Srinath Reddy, President of the Public Health Foundation of India and Co-chair of SDSN’s Health Thematic Group – has just opened for enrollment.
- Professor Jeffrey Sachs’ online course, “The Age of Sustainable Development,” launched for the third time in late January and hosted a live video Q&A (watch discussion). There’s still time to enroll in the course!
- Connect with SDSNedu via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
SDSN in the Media
This Year’s Climate Talks Are Our Last (and Best) Chance to Slow Global Warming – The Nation, February 24
Christiana Figueres: Goal is To ‘Internationally Transform the Economic Development Model’ – CNSnews, February 18
Jeffrey Sachs and Hendrik du Toit: Earth Calling the Financial Sector – Project Syndicate, February 16
Paul Polman: World leaders should take advantage of low oil prices to ditch fossil fuel subsidies – The Guardian, February 12
Preparing to tackle child poverty globally: three goals for 2015 – UNICEF Connect, January 30
Jeffrey Sachs and Lisa Sachs: The Responsible Investor’s Guide to Climate Change – Project Syndicate, January 29
Laurence Tubiana: ‘EU-China climate agreement is conceivable’ – EuroActiv, January 28
Upcoming SDSN Events
- March 2 – Financial Needs Assessment for SDG Monitoring and Statistical Capacity Development| New York, USA
- March 5-6 – 2nd International SDSN Mediterranean (MED Sol) Conference | Siena, Italy
- March 6 – The Age of Sustainable Development (livestream) | Washington DC, USA
- March 9-11 – The World in 2050 Kick-off Workshop | Vienna, Austria
- April 24 – Happiness Report Launch | New York, USA
- May 12-13 – Bonn Conference for Global Transformation | Bonn, Germany
- June 4-5 – Sixth SDSN Leadership Council Meeting | Paris, France
- July 7-10 – Our Common Future under Climate Change | Paris, France
- July 13-16 – International Conference on Financing for Development | Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- September 23-24 – 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Development Practice (ICSDP)
SDSN Network Spotlight
We’re introducing a new series in our newsletter to highlight the events and projects from SDSN’s many Regional and National Networks. Read more about a recent high level meeting in Jakarta on “Partnership for Solutions: Priorities and Pathways for Sustainable Energy and Deep Decarbonization,” organized by SDSN Southeast Asia’s United in Diversity Forum and SDSN Indonesia’s Research Center on Climate Change of the University of Indonesia.
News from Our Partners
- On February 25-27, the Ecological Sequestration Trust hosted a High Level meeting on “Financing Transformational Change for Planetary Health” in Bellagio, Italy. Attendants include UrbanSDG campaign members, finance experts, and regional governors. Speaker presentations are available here.
- The 2nd International SDSN Mediterranean Conference, organized by the SDSN Mediterranean Regional Network, will be held on March 5-6 at the University of Siena, Italy. The conference will focus on sustainable agriculture solutions for the Mediterranean; follow the online conversation at #sdsnmed!
- The 3rd International Conference on Sustainable Development Practice (ICSDP), organized by SDSN and Global MDP, will be held on September 23-24, 2015 at Columbia University, New York. View conference highlights from last year’s ICSDP here.
- Université Laval has launched a free massive open online course on “Développement durable: enjeux et trajectoires / Sustainable Development: Challenges and Pathways” (in French). Enroll for the course here.
- On March 6, the International Center for Climate Governance (ICCG) will host its second webinar on “Water Challenges in the Agricultural Sector.” Register here.
- Bogaziçi University has become the first university in the world to meet the entirety of its electricity demands from its own wind power plant. Learn more here.
- On February 4, Professor Jeffery Sachs spoke at the Financing for Sustainable Development event in London, part of Oversees Development Institute (ODI)’s #GlobalChallenges debate series. A full video of the speech can be found here. On the same day, Sachs also gave a public lecture on “The Age of Sustainable Development” (video recording here).
- On February 6, Jessica Espey of SDSN discussed monitoring, governance, accountability at a panel on The Post-2015 Development Era – An Outlook on the New Development Agenda and the Challenges Ahead at New York University.
- The 8th World Environmental Education Congress (WEEC2015), an international congress addressing education for environment and sustainable development, will take place in Gothenburg, Sweden, June 29-July 2.
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from the SDSN.