New Draft Report on Financing for Sustainable Development
SDSN has launched a draft report entitled “Financing Sustainable Development: Implementing the SDGs through Effective Investment Strategies and Partnerships” for public consultation through January 10, 2015. At the request of the Government of Ethiopia, the SDSN is leading a Global Finance for Sustainable Development Group to provide recommendations to the Financing for Development Conference in Addis Ababa in July 2015. read more »
US Deep Decarbonization Report Launched
Researchers at the Energy and Environmental Economics, Inc (E3), Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (Berkeley Lab), and Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) launched the “Pathways to Deep Decarbonization in the United States” report on November 20, 2014, showing how the US can reduce greenhouse gas emissions 80% below 1990 levels by 2050. The US DDPP Report is one of 15 DDPP country studies that are part of the global project to show practical pathways to deep decarbonization consistent with the globally agreed 2-degree Celsius limit on warming. read more »
Needs Assessment for the Data Revolution
Following a successful meeting in October the SDSN has launched a data needs assessment, in partnership with PARIS21, the World Bank, Open Data Watch, Simon Fraser University, the Centre for Global Development and various other organizations. The resulting cost estimate of resources needed to fulfill a Data Revolution will be a key input to the July Financing for Development Summit. read more »
SDSN Reaches Out to Youth in the Dominican Republic
On November 1, SDSN New York Director Glenn Denning addressed a gathering of 1,500 youth at the Tenth Annual International Conference of the Americas (CILA 2014) with the theme “Youth and Sustainable Development in the Post-2015 Agenda” in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. read more »
SDSN Germany Roundtable on Climate Finance
On November 20, SDSN Germany held a round table discussion with more than 60 representatives from civil society, business and academia at the Green Climate Fund (GCF) High-Level Pledging Conference. The SDSN Germany Secretariat is hosted by the German Development Institute. read more »
New Online Course on Planetary Boundaries and Human Opportunities
Enrollment is open for a new SDSNedu online course “Planetary Boundaries and Human Opportunities: The Quest for Safe and Just Development on a Resilient Planet,” offered in partnership with the Stockholm Resilience Center at Stockholm University and led by Professor Johan Rockström, a leading thinker behind the planetary boundaries framework. enroll now »
SDSN in the Media
Jeffrey Sachs: China’s New Global Leadership – Project Syndicate, November 22
US Can Slash Its Fossil Fuel Emissions By 85 Percent By 2050, New Climate Change Study Shows –International Business Times, November 21
Winnie Byanyima: G20 Leaders Must Turn the Tide on Inequality and Climate Change – Huffington Post, November 14
Jane Lubchenco: Call for Civility And Diversity in Conservation – Yale e360, November 13
Rajendra Pachauri: Q&A on science advice and the development goals – SciDev.net, November 4
An Unsustainable World: Interview with Professor Jeffrey Sachs – Investment Institute Journal Volume 2
Upcoming SDSN Events
- December 12 – Side Event at COP 20 | Lima, Peru
- February 3 – SDSN Financing for Sustainable Development Conference | London, UK
- March 5-6 – MED Solutions Conference II | Siena, Italy
- March 9-11 – The World in 2050 Kick-off Workshop | Vienna, Austria
News from Our Partners
- On December 8, SDSN-Amazonia along with several partner organizations is organizing the Amazon Solutions Day at COP20 to advance the sustainable development agenda in the region. Event details are available here.
- UNESCO has launched an online public consultation on their 2016 Global Monitoring Report (GMR) on “‘Education, sustainability and the post-2015 development agenda” until January 28, 2015. Submit your comments here.
- On November 20, 2014, SDSN and Center for International Relations and Sustainable Development (CIRSD) co-organized an conference on “Climate Change and the Green Economy” in Belgrade, Serbia. Read the event summary here.
- On November 17, 2014, SDSN co-sponsored an event at Columbia University entitled Road to 2015: A Pivotal Year for Sustainable Development with keynote speakers on the four major development priorities of 2015: the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Data Revolution, Financing, and COP21. Watch the presentations here.
- On November 11, the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI), with SDSN and several partner organizations, held an expert roundtable to examine the lessons learned from efforts to improve the governance of natural resource investments, particularly in extractives and land. Read more here.
- Laval University has also launched a new online course (in French) on sustainable development. Details are available here.
- The Science and Technology Alliance for Global Sustainability (the Alliance) has recently announced the appointment of the Future Earth Engagement Committee with 15 members. Read more here.
Subscribe to receive monthly updates from SDSN.