Welcome to our June Newsletter!
SDSN.edu Launches with Jeffrey Sachs’ Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on Sustainable Development
SDSN.edu, SDSN’s online education initiative, aims to bring together global experts to create a compendium of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) for the largest ever cohort of students of sustainable development. SDSN will be offering the second instance of Jeffrey Sachs’ course, The Age of Sustainable Development, free of charge in September 2014 through our new SDSN.edu platform, and students who complete this course will receive a free e-book written by Professor Sachs. Pre-register for the course here.
Expert Roundtable Discussion on Indicators for the Sustainable Development Goals
On June 23-24, 2014, the SDSN, in collaboration with the United Nations Statistics Division, convened a two-day expert roundtable discussion on the design of indicators for the Sustainable Development Goals and how to monitor them effectively. Over 40 specialists from national statistical offices, international organizations, and other institutions joined the meeting.
Register Now for the 2nd Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development Practice
The Global Association of Master’s in Development Practice Programs (MDP), in collaboration with the SDSN, will hold the 2nd Annual International Conference on Sustainable Development Practice (ICSDP) on September 17-18, 2014, at Columbia University in New York City. Register for the conference here and send any inquiries to ICSDP@globalmdp.org.
Turkey SDSN Launched on June 27-28
Over 100 participants from Turkish universities as well as representatives from NGOs, business, and international organizations attended the launch at Bogaziçi University (Istanbul) organized in collaboration with the Columbia Global Center in Turkey. The launch was chaired by Gülay Barbarosoğlu, the Rector of Boğaziçi University, Üstün Ergüder, Honorary Coordinator of UNSDSN Turkey and Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the SDSN. Davut Kavranoğlu, Deputy Minister of the Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology and the Mayor of Istanbul’s Sariyer District Sukru Genc, also attended. Bogaziçi University will coordinate this latest National SDSN, which is planning to focus on sustainable cities, sustainable agriculture, deep decarbonization, as well as sustainable tourism.
SDSN Side Event at OWG: Perspectives on Values for the SDGs
On June 12, 2014, UNDP and SDSN organized a side event at the Open Working Group to examine the question of “why we care” within the context of sustainable development goals. Panelists included Mary Elizabeth Flores, Amina Mohammed, Veerabhadran Ramanathan, Jeffrey Sachs, Marcelo Sanchez Sorondo, William Vendley, and Olav Kjørven (moderator).
Oxfam Side Event at UN on Inequality and Climate Change
On June 17, 2014, Jeffrey Sachs participated in a panel discussion organized by Oxfam on “Post-2015: How can the new framework best address rising inequality and the threat of climate change?” along with Paul Ladd, Amina Mohammed, H.E. Ambassador Dr. A. K. Abdul Momen, H.E. Ambassador Guilherme de Aguiar Patriota, François Gave, and Ray Offenheiser.
SDSN in the Media
SDSN in CNN – Should happiness, more than GDP, define a nation’s success? – June 30, 2014
Feike Sijbesma in The Guardian – Shift to a circular economy is under way, from crop waste to solar – June 25, 2014
Hans Vestberg in Arab News – Ericsson’s commitment to corporate responsibility boosts competitiveness – June 23, 2014
Jeffrey Sachs in Project Syndicate – The Limits of Climate Negotiations – June 23, 2014
Antonio Pedro in The New Times Rwanda – Stakeholders move to combat negative effects of mining – June 22, 2014
Jeffrey Sachs in The Washington Post – Universal basic education is the millennium goal everyone forgot – June 22, 2014
Frances Beinecke in Huffington Post – Obama Takes Bold Action to Protect Marine Life in the Pacific Ocean – June 17, 2014
Winnie Byanyima in Huffington Post – Overcoming Inequality and Climate Change Key to Ending Poverty – June 17, 2014
Jeffrey Sachs in Huffington Post – The EPA Is Right and US Chamber of Commerce Is Wrong on Climate Change – June 16, 2014
K Srinath Reddy in Hindustan Times – Healthcare needs a booster shot now – June 11, 2014
SDSN in SciDev.net – Call for clearer road map as 17 proposed SDGs released – June 9, 2014
Rajendra Pachauri in Aljazeera – Q&A: The perils of a fast-changing climate – June 9, 2014
Frances Beinecke in Switchboard – Carbon Standards Should Reduce Our Dependence on All Fossil Fuels – June 6, 2014
Jeffrey Sachs in Huffington Post – Kudos to the White House and EPA on the New Climate Regulations – June 3, 2014
Zulfiqar Bhutta in IAEA – Nutrition is Much More than Food – May 30, 2014
Saleem H. Ali in Huffington Post – Nigeria’s Peace Path: Can Lessons from the Oil-Rich South Defeat Boko Haram? – May 19, 2014
SDSN in IGBP News – Sustainable Development Goals: Improving human and planetary wellbeing – May 13, 2014
Upcoming SDSN Events
- July 3 – India in the Age of Sustainable Development – Public Lecture with Jeffrey Sachs | New Delhi, India
- July 6 – South Asia SDSN Launch Event | New Delhi, India
- July 8 – Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project (DDPP) press conference | New York, USA
- August 25-30 – 5th Annual Ibadan Sustainable Development Summit (ISDS) | Ibadan, Nigeria
- September 17-18 – 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Development Practice organized with MDP Consortium | New York, USA
- September 19-20 – Leadership Council meeting | New York, USA
- October 22-24 – Sustainability Science Congress 2014 | Copenhagen, Denmark
- November 4-11 – APEC meetings | Beijing, China
News from Our Partners
- Center of International Relations and Sustainable Development (CIRSD) has joined the new Earth Institute-SDSN Advisory Group, which will help advance the work of SDSN and EI in support of the SDGs. Learn more about this collaboration here.
- The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and TERI University launched its “Specialized Training, Education and Experiential Resources (STEER)” capacity building hub on the sidelines of the first annual Sustainable Energy for All Forum (SE4ALL) in New York. Learn more about the STEER hub here.
- A flood-tolerant rice variety developed by the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) has reach 10 million farmers. Read the press release here.
- To mark World Oceans Day on June 8, the IASS Potsdam together with the Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations (IDDRI) published a set of proposals for sustainable marine governance in a special supplement published in Marine Policy. The recommendations were also presented for discussion at the UN talks on the protection of the high seas from June 16-19 in New York.
- The Global Ocean Commission has published a new report “From Decline to Recovery: A Rescue Package for the Global Ocean” which outlines 8 proposals for ocean health and recovery. Read the full report here.
- The World Resource Institute has published a paper on “Indicators of Sustainable Agriculture: A Scoping Analysis,” Installment 6 of “Creating a Sustainable Food Future”. Read the paper here.
- A research paper on “Indicators linking health and sustainability in the post-2015 development agenda” has been published by Andy Haines LSHTM and others (available here).
- The German Advisory Council on Global Change has recently published a Policy Paper on “Human Progress within Planetary Guard Rails: A Contribution to the SDG Debate.” Read the paper here.
- On June 16, 2014, H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco gave an address at Our Ocean 2014 Conference, hosted by the US Department of State. A transcript of his exchange with Secretary of State John F. Kerry is available here.
- On June 2, 2014, Peter Head, Executive Chair of The Ecological Sequestration Trust, gave a lecture on “People, Planet, Profit – A Revolution In Integrating Global And Local For A Resilient Future” as a part of the Wax Chandlers’ Company lecture series at Mansion House in the City of London. Watch the full lecture here.