Welcome to our September Newsletter!
Join Us for the Launch of Thematic Group Reports
Join us in New York at Columbia University on September 18th, 2013, from 1 to 3 pm for the launch of reports from several Thematic Groups, including Challenges of Social Inclusion: Gender, Inequality and Human Rights; Health for All; Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems; Forests, Oceans, Biodiversity, and Ecosystem Services; Sustainable Cities: Inclusive, Resilient, and Connected; and Good Governance of Extractive and Land Resources. Please register online as space is limited!
Thematic Group on Health for All Meets in Hyderabad
On August 16 and 17, 2013, the Thematic Group on Health for All convened in Hyderabad, India, to discuss their upcoming report. Group Co-Chair Srinath Reddy and the Public Health Foundation of India hosted the group, as well as several special invitees. The report will strongly advocate for universal health coverage as the key to improving global health post-2015.
Thematic Group on Sustainable Cities Meets in Bellagio
From August 20 to 22, 2013, members of the Thematic Group on Sustainable Cities met in Bellagio, Italy, to discuss a Campaign for an Urban Sustainable Goal (SDG), as well as next steps for the Sustainable Cities Initiative.
SDSNK Launches in South Korea!
On Friday, August 23rd the Korean SDSN (SDSNK) held a pre-launch event in Seoul involving representatives of NGOs, government agencies, private firms, universities, and international organizations. The event was covered by the Korea Times, which quoted SDSNK Director and SDSN Leadership Council member Soogil Young as saying, “The government and politicians are falling short of coping with increasing challenges facing national development. A new way to cope with the problems is required. I believe the SDSNK will serve its purpose faithfully with creative solutions.”
Upcoming SDSN Events
- International Conference on Sustainable Development Practice 2013: New York, 6-8 September
- World Happiness Report Conference: New York, 9 September
- Short-termism in Business: New York, 17 September
- Launch of Thematic Group Reports: New York, 18 September
- Third meeting of the SDSN Leadership Council: New York, 19-20 September
- Launch of Indonesia SDSN and South-East Asia SDSN: Bali, 5-6 October
- Launch of Malaysia SDSN: Kuala Lumpur, 7-8 October
- Kick-off workshop on Deep Decarbonization Strategies, Seoul, 12-13 October
- Launch of South Korea SDSN: Seoul, 14 October
- The Role of Science & Technology in Sustainable Development – Conference organized for Open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals: New York, 16 December
- SDSN Ethiopia Launch Event: Addis Ababa, January 2014
News from Our Partners
The Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, directed by Leadership Council member Vladimir Mau, announced the establishment of an International Science Laboratory for Sustainable Development. For more information visit their website.
The Dubai Carbon Center of Excellence, an SDSN Member Institute, in partnership with the Supreme Council of Energy will launch “The State of Energy Report” this October 22, to coincide with World Energy Day. For more information read the press release online.