Welcome to our August Newsletter!
SDSN Agriculture Report Available for Public Comment
On July 25, 2013, the SDSN’s Thematic Group on Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems released a draft of their report “Solutions for Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems” for public consultation. The report describes why agriculture is central to development, where agriculture belongs in the post-2015 development agenda, and solutions and implementation pathways to feed a growing world population while reversing ecological degradation. Should you wish to provide comments or feedback, a form is available on our website. Please return it to email@example.com by August 15th, 2013.
The final version of this report, along with reports from several other Thematic Groups, will be launched on September 18, 2013, from 1 pm to 3 pm in New York. If you are interested in attending please register online as space is limited.
Launch of the SDSN in China
On July 21, 2013, the SDSN was launched in China. Several members of the Leadership Council were in attendance, including Naoko Ishii, Julia Marton-Lefévre, Gordon Liu, Jeffrey Sachs, Laurence Tubiana, Lan Xue, and Soogil Young. The SDSN also convened several side-meetings with senior Chinese officials in Beijing.
Nigeria SDSN (NSDSN) Hosts Workshop
The NSDSN hosted a workshop on “Pathways to Sustainable Development for the Niger Delta Region” on July 11 and 12 at the Institute for Petroleum Resources at the University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria. A multidisciplinary team of senior academics, mostly from universities in the region, met to discuss challenges and successes in past interventions as well as gaps in data and information. Keep an eye on the NSDSN website for their project proposal which is being finalized.
Upcoming SDSN Events
- Global MDP Conference: New York, 6-8 September
- Launch of Thematic Group Reports: New York, 18 September
- Third meeting of the SDSN Leadership Council: New York, 19-20 September
- Launch of Indonesia SDSN: Bali, 5-6 October
- Launch of Malaysia SDSN: Kuala Lumpur, 7-8 October
- Launch of South Korea SDSN: Seoul, 14 October
- The Role of Science & Technology in Sustainable Development – Conference organized for Open Working Group on sustainable Development Goals: New York, 16 December
- SDSN Ethiopia Launch Event: Addis Ababa, January 2014