Welcome to our July Newsletter!
Update on SDSN Report
The SDSN Report to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, An Action Agenda for Sustainable Development, has been presented and discussed around the world, including at the Open Working Group on the Sustainable Development Goals. Translations are now available in Chinese, French, Portuguese, and Spanish. The Executive Summary and Annex 1 are available in Arabic, German, and Italian. Several other translations are in preparation.
Launch of the Mediterranean SDSN Network (MED Solutions)
MED Solutions was launched on July 3-5 in Siena, Italy. Prof. Angelo Riccaboni, Rector of the University of Siena, and Professor Jeffrey Sachs, Director of the SDSN, chaired the conference that brought together a unique combination of experts, researchers, policy makers, civil society leaders and students from 18 of the 21 countries in the Mediterranean region. The Italian Minister of Education, Universities and Research, Ms. Maria Chiara Carrozza, also attended the launch of Med Solutions. Discussions focused on two priority issues for the region: the health of the Mediterranean Sea and de-carbonizing the energy system. Several proposals for Solution Initiatives were adopted and will now be pursued by SDSN members. Presentations and details of the launch are available online.
Rio Sustainability Initiative launched
The SDSN Rio Sustainability Initiative, based at the Brazilian Foundation for Sustainable Development (FBDS), held its first major event on June 24 with a workshop on urban sustainability. Welcoming remarks were made by the Brazilian Minister of the Environment Izabella Teixeira, Ambassador André Corrêa do Lago, Walter Vergara of the Inter-American Development Bank, and Professor Jeffrey Sachs. Chaired by Israel Klabin, President of FBDS and former mayor of Rio, the launch brought together over 70 leaders from business, academia, government and civil society to discuss four themes: city government, urban planning, water and sanitation infrastructure, and urban mobility. The Rio Sustainability Initiative will now explore these issues in more detail. The SDSN is preparing similar sustainability initiatives in other cities around the world.
Thematic Group 3 Holds First In-Person Meeting
Hosted by Femmes Africa Solidarity, Thematic Group 3 on the Challenges of Social Inclusion: Gender, Inequalities, and Human Rights met for an intensive full day in Geneva on July 2. Amina J. Mohammed, the Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on Post-2015 Development Planning, and invited guests from the Africa Progress Panel, CIVICUS, and the World Economic Forum participated in the meeting.
New Regional SDSN Centers Appointed for South Asia and Indonesia
The SDSN has appointed BRAC Development Institute (Bangladesh) and TERI University (India) as Regional SDSN Centers for South Asia. The launch of the South Asia SDSN is scheduled for 2014.
The University of Indonesia Research Center for Climate Change has been appointed National SDSN Center for Indonesia and together with its partner United in Diversity Foundation will lead the launch of the Indonesian and South-East Asian SDSNs at the APEC Summit in October.
New SDSN Members
Several organizations have joined the SDSN:
- Amazonas Sustainable Foundation (FAS), Brazil
- CEBDS (Brazilian Business Council on Sustainable Development), Brazil
- Centre for Environment Education (CEE), India
- CIFAL Scotland, Scotland
- Curtin University Sustainability Policy Institute (CUSP), Australia
- Dubai Carbon Centre of Excellence, UAE
- Environment Research Center, University of Technology, Iraq
- Fispmed Onlus, Italy
- Global AIDS Interfaith Alliance (GAIA), USA
- Global Citizen, Denmark
- Global Masters in Development Practice Consortium, USA
- IDDRI, France
- Institut du Sahel (INSAH), Mali
- Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore
- Littoral Et Vie Research Group, Canada
- Sustainable Development Policy Institute, Pakistan
- The Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation, Monaco
- Université Laval, Canada
- University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria
- University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria
- University of Florida, USA
- University of Ibadan, Nigeria
- University of Nigeria, Nigeria
- University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria
Upcoming SDSN Events
- China launch of the SDSN: Guiyang, 21 July
- Global MDP Conference: New York, 6-8 September
- Third meeting of the SDSN Leadership Council: New York, 19-20 September
- Indonesia Launch of the SDSN: 6 October
- Malaysia Launch of the SDSN: Mid-October
- South Korea Launch of the SDSN: 16 October, Seoul